Author Topic: A story, and a mystery  (Read 7228 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: A story, and a mystery
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 June 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
The second letter of the 1st. word looks like "d" comparing it to legal documents I've seen.
Doesn't help does it.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 June 18 02:47 BST (UK) »
I've seen that old d too, but I think it disappeared way before this. I thought the first letter was a fancy Y, with that long curly bit being part of the branch of it.

But that doesn't help either. I guess I'm just going to have to go back there, with a ladder  :D

Thanks Jim,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
I'd guess the whole inscription was done at the same time, rather than that the lower line was added later, and think the initial letter of the first word can only be a capital 'N'.

So probably 'New'; the second word seems to begin with a capital 'S' or 'T' or 'F'.  The last two letters are 'e r' but the others are doubtful.  As this line is under W. Jubb's name it could be his address - the name of the house or village where he lived.  I've peered at local maps and can't see any likely names, but maybe some old map of the early 19th century might reveal some long-vanished name.

Or could it be a motto starting with 'Nem'?

Whatever, I do hope somebody can solve this soon!

Harry.   
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
I am going back to what I thought before, "& Son Lawier."

Malky

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 June 18 06:34 BST (UK) »
Assembling facts:
Ggggf owned a pub in Mirfield.  William Jubb died in 1814.
Brother, Thomas Judd, purchased pub from brother's estate.
Pub called The Flower Pot.

Row of cottages attached to pub building.
Carved, high up on wall was
     Symbol  W Jubb AD(?) 1812
     Unknown writing under name
Stone was at the "back"
Note:  What was 1812 referencing - when the structure was built?

Have you tried looking at other nearby "old" buildings to see if there was a "theme" to what was typically inscribed?
Using the map link that Jool provided, around the corner, on Calder Rd, is a building with a white door and above the door is an inscribed stone. However, I can't begin to read the writing on this stone.  :-\ I've not yet found another old building with an inscription but I haven't given up looking.

I wonder why the writing would be on the back of the building?  Did the river always follow the current "path" or could there have been roads where the river now flows?  Why would the name have been on the back of the building?  Could the present owners take a photograph for you or tell you what it says?  Note:  One of my ancestors lived and worked in a pub in Essex in the mid-1800s.  I was thrilled to find the pub on the internet and was awe-struck to see the interior.  I wrote to the pub, asking a couple of questions and never received a reply.  :'( However, it wouldn't hurt for you to try writing as well?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 June 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
From the earliest Ordnance 6" to the mile map, surveyed in 1850, the row of cottages next to the 'Flower Pot' in Granny Lane hadn't yet been built.  There would have been ample space for Calder Road to have passed the pub on its east side, so maybe there had been some changes in the road layout before then.  This could account for the stone now being on the back of the pub.

The cottages north of here, on Calder Road, were also built later, and the street view images show the stone above the white door mentioned by Lisa.  The inscription reads: "Philip Royd 1873 Terrace".

Harry.   
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 June 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
Lawyer also meant an agent, does that fit in at all China?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Was there another W. Judd in the family?  Could William's father also have been a William?  Or, keeping in mind that the cottages had not been built by 1850, could William have named a son William?  Yet another question, did Thomas have a son named William?

Did the wording under the name reference a different William?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
Looking at the stone, is it just the lighting that makes it look rough on the left side and a bit smoother on the right and under the name?  This is a bit of a stretch, but is there a chance that the stone could have been altered either because a mistake was made or to change some of the original carving?

On a headstone that a very kind RootsChatter found for me, the name Mary was altered to May (or the other way around, I don't remember).  This stone reminds me of that smooth look where the change was made for Mary's name.

I know I'm (sadly) a perfectionist, but does it bother anyone else that nothing is centered? Or, perhaps it is just my eyes.  ;)