Author Topic: A story, and a mystery  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: A story, and a mystery
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 June 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Lisa, yes it bothers me too that nothing is centered  ;D

I think, as DrDude45 mentioned in an earlier post, it may be the remains of a longer stone, originally having the "flower" design in the centre with another name to the left, and the "curly" end design matching at the other end.

I agree that writing to the present owners would be worth a shot, or maybe email the pub to ask if they would be kind enough to take a look for you.  Or, post on the relevant board here with a link to this thread, someone on Rootschat may live nearby and be willing to look for you.

I keep coming back to this thread and staring at it, but nothing is getting any clearer  ;D

Or you could post here to see if someone could help.
https://www.facebook.com/MirfieldHistoryArchive/

Or here
http://www.mirfield-2ndlook.info/Seeking_Information_/seeking_information_.html
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 June 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
The second letter of the 1st. word looks like "d" comparing it to legal documents I've seen.
Doesn't help does it.

Looking at jim1's touched up photo, is there any chance that the first two characters could be 18?  The first character looks like someone was trying to copy the style of the 1 in 1812. It could be my mind playing tricks but looking at the original photograph, the character after the first squiggly mark almost looks like an 8.

I cannot see the following in the second word (if in fact there are two words) but is there a chance that it could be Janvier?  Thinking along the line of why would something be carved in French, is there a chance that the word is in Latin, or another language?

Perhaps I should just keep my comments to myself as they are a bit strange.  ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 June 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Using French seems unlikely in 1812 - during the Napoleonic War! 

Wondered about Latin - as in a motto - Nem = no-one.  Or German, Nein = no, or Sein = his, but I can't find anything like the second word. 

I think it has to be a second word because of the initial capital - S, T, F, I, J - or maybe L. 
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Wow, you lot have been beavering away  ;D ;D

Well, the Flower Pot was advertised for sale or lease in 1838, along with its cottages which are described as all occupied. So the cottages were there. I'm thinking they must have been built in 1814.

William had two children, Charles and Martha. His father was John, and John was a shoemaker. Here's William's will. Can't find when Charles was born but Martha was born in 1810. On the other hand, his illegitimate son would appear to be from the woman he married.
http://jubb.one-name.net/members_data/0069ab/documents//JUBB%2C%20William%2C%20Hopton%2C%20Mirfield%2C%201814%2C%20will%2C%20transcription.pdf

Now I'm thinking maybe the word says something like Terrace or Cottage or something, but I can't make anything fit.

I'm not sure asking someone in Mirfield to go look would help, because the stone is a good 10 feet up the wall and this is as good a photo as I could get. However, there's a Mirfield Facebook page so I'll try that.

And yeah, it bugs me too. The inscription isn't centered and the doodle on the left isn't symmetric. I think it was added later.

Okay everybody, thank you for the thought you've put into this. Off to try the Mirfield page!

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome back, China.  This inscription really is the most puzzling piece of writing!

The cottages mentioned in 1838 wouldn't have been the row along Granny Lane, right next to the pub.  The Ordnance 6-inch map is quite detailed and if they had been there in 1850 they'd certainly have been shown. 

This map shows other small blocks near the pub - just to the north where the present car park is, and I suspect these were the cottages that were up for lease in 1838.

Harry.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, they're not there, are they? So I wonder if the stone is a piece of the older cottages that was incorporated into the present building? No bridge either, so that kept Hopton pretty isolated from Mirfield.

I put the photo on the Mirfield FB page so we'll see if there's any interest there.

Really is a shame about the interior renovation of the pub, would have been nice to at least pretend my great-greats had seen the same walls.

There was this on one of the walls, though  :D
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 December 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I've only just seen this thread from last year. I grew up in Mirfield and go back there quite often.  Where exactly is this stone? I'll go and have a look when I'm there next.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 December 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mike! If you have a look at the very first post in the thread it describes where the stone is. On the back of the cottages next to the Flower Pot, way up high on the right. I couldn't get high enough for a good photo. We never did figure out exactly what the stone says and it was driving me batty  ;D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 December 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mike! If you have a look at the very first post in the thread it describes where the stone is. On the back of the cottages next to the Flower Pot, way up high on the right. I couldn't get high enough for a good photo. We never did figure out exactly what the stone says and it was driving me batty  ;D

Cheers,
China

Thanks China. So you have to go down between the pub and the row of cottages, and it's up there on the first cottage?
I've spent some happy times in the Flowerpot, but not for many years now.