Author Topic: A story, and a mystery  (Read 7184 times)

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: A story, and a mystery
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 June 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya guys, you've been busy  :)

Yes Carol, I was utterly thrilled. A name carved in stone, and not in a graveyard...doesn't happen very often! Thanks for sharpening the image, but I still can't see what it says.

A lawyer, he was not. Savior would be spelled wrong, it's always Saviour. And I'm pretty sure the second to last letter is an e. Vituler, just can't see it. Although he was one, of course, and his license cost ten pounds. A huge amount.

Jool, been there on Streetview before I got to Mirfield. But the stone is at the back. It's so high up the wall I couldn't get a good pic, it's about 12 feet up. I had a good look around before I got there, also gone over the bridge virtually. But in a real car it's horrifying, cars parked on both sides of the bridge and barely enough room down the middle...I guess if you live there you get used to it but I had my eyes shut  ;D

Thanks for trying, everybody.
Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 June 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi China..as it was on the wall of the adjoining cottages I wonder if he was in any involved in the building or up keep of the cottages...just a thought...you may want to make contact here for help:

http://www.hdfhs.org.uk/the-society/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 June 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
The lower two words aren't in the same script as the first line - I wonder whether they were added later. Even though carved, they are almost in the Italian Hand.

The first word may be 'Now' with only the diagonal and final flourish of an elaborate 'N' now showing (or possibly 'New' as in New Owner). If it was added after 1814, when he died, it may recognise that fact, but the second word appears to start with an 'S' and end 'er' which defeats me.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 June 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
From just a cursory examination, this looks like it used to either be a much longer piece or part 2 of a two piece set. Another name and inscription was to the left of the large flower like engraving. Was there another piece in the same general area? The remodeling may have destroyed it, but you may wish to check your photos as it just may have been moved.

Also the first word is probably "Fou" in written in an Edwardian style script. By itself thats Scottish-Gaelic for full, drunk or crazy. So, if it is, this could be a declaritive statement such as "Full owner" or "Full Partner", or a funny statement such as "Drunk Bartender" or some such sillyness. 

just my 2 cents
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 June 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, interesting. Carol, I'm thinking he built the cottages. They were occupied by family members by 1838 when the place was put up for sale or lease by a third brother. I found a newspaper advert  :)

I noticed the script too, Richard. Nothing to compare it to on the rest of the stone.

Dude, that's fascinating about the word fou, which is also French for crazy  :) But not sure, considering the later Victorian attitude toward frivolity in photographs, that it would be a funny statement.

I am just going to have to go back to Mirfield. Didn't investigate the church either, where every one of those Jubbs were christened, married and buried. Now I'm kicking myself. Yep, gotta go back  :D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 June 18 01:59 BST (UK) »

I am just going to have to go back to Mirfield. Didn't investigate the church either, where every one of those Jubbs were christened, married and buried. Now I'm kicking myself. Yep, gotta go back  :D

Cheers,
China

Pay a young man to climb a ladder with his iphone ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 June 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
My effort at trying to read the sign: I think it might be Pub Tavener
Sometimes changing the colour of the image can help.
 I am so envious of you China, this is my dream.

Cheers,
Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 June 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Oh, I just had a brain wave, and I think it reads  Your Tavener

Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
The more I look, the more I see Louvier? I wonder if there is a chatter who lives in the area China, they may come to the rescue  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU