Author Topic: Native American DNA?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Native American DNA?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
What you good people have offered proves that DNA testing is a waste of time and money. I have a Welsh name and we were firmly established in South East Monmouthshire until the end of the 17th Century. So, not only Celts but Silures who gave the Romans a lot of trouble. Thereafter, a lot of migration within UK and intermarrying with Saxons. yet, one stem is here in Swindon and the males are slim and dark until middle age when they become much bigger, keep their hair which goes white. Not all are typical, I'm not, my father was about half way but my grandfather was typical. My grandfather married a Saxon, my fathers wife, my mother was half Saxon, half Celt.

I could go on ad nauseam but hopefully you get the idea.

The basic composition of British people is or was Celts, Saxons, Danes and Norwegians. Apparently, Danes and Saxons can't be told apart as far as DNA is concerned.

Cumbrians are Norwegians (Vikings) ejected from Dublin etc. which they founded, by the Irish Celts.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 01:28 BST (UK) »

FTDNA claims I have over 99% European DNA, plus a trace South American! I sometimes get the feeling they just stick a pin in the map and hope no one looks too closely!

Oh I can agree with that. One company says I am 83% Western and Central Europe, 17% Scandinavian and another says I am 100% Great Britain and Ireland.

How do you explain that other than these DNA tests are not worth the claims they make?

Well at least they got the same continent!!

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
What you good people have offered proves that DNA testing is a waste of time and money.   

I am an adoptee who found my birth father's family through autosomal DNA testing, so it certainly was not a waste of time and money for me.  There are many of us in a similar situation who find it very well worth it.  I have also tested my husband, whose heritage is known, and it has helped me verify that some of the paper trail is correct and given me other possible leads.

It very much depends on what you expect to get from it. 

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
I think you are being unfair to Regorian in the way you have partially quoted them. If you take the context of the full post it is clear they are voicing their concerns about the ethnicity predictions of DNA testing. A view that has a lot of support from many posters although from your past posts not one that you entirely share, fair enough.

What they have not done is criticise the use of autosomal DNA in tracking down people with who you share a genetic inheritance, indeed I can not recall anyone criticising that aspect of it. There are quite a few people on here who know from personal experience that it can work, for myself the first person I established a match with was a lady in America who turned out to be a 3rd cousin once removed. I'll admit she did much of the initial digging as you had two incidents of illegitimacy in her line back to out ancestors in common and I don't think I would have ever discovered that.

Yes DNA testing does have a purpose and can provide answers its just that the ethnicity predictions it makes are at best coincidental to the truth but more often than not just bogus make believe. That's just my personal opinion btw.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
I was born in County Durham and most of my ancestry comes from there. Ancestry put me down as Northern England. Cannot complain.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
What you good people have offered proves that DNA testing is a waste of time and money.   
It very much depends on what you expect to get from it.

The DNA matching is great and can be very valuable, but the ethnicity guesstimates should stop. They can be misleading, if not completely false. Yet they are sold as if they are scientific, accurate, and meaningful.

The trouble is most people do not know their ancestry well enough to call them out on it. Maybe people will start challenging the results more, and get these companies to be more honest about what they are claiming/labeling.