Author Topic: Moving about England in 1810 ish  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moving about England in 1810 ish
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
My 4x gt-grandfather William Church was born, or at least baptised in Woolwich, then in Kent, in 1808, which surprised me, because the family came from Godmanchester, Hunts. and there were other younger and older children born there.  I later discovered that his father had been "called up" to join the militia and was sent to Woolwich (at the Arsenal??).  His wife must have either joined him there or brought their son to Woolwich to be baptised.  They later returned to Godmanchester, where their youngest and last child was baptised in 1811.  I cannot find out what happened to the older children while William was being baptised in Woolwich.  Maybe a kindly aunt, grandmother looked after them while mother was away.  I do know that the mother was supported by parish funds while her husband was in the militia.  He had joined as a substitute for another man - wanted to get away, needed the money or was just conscripted?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary Ann Hodgson in my Tree Born 1811 ish …  In the early census it states she was born in Caldwell but in later years it says London with a reference to ?Cove on one return.
Any thoughts?

One thought. Cove may be Cobh (pronounced "Cove"), the harbour for the city of Cork, Ireland. The harbour has several islands on which were military barracks. One was a prison which housed people awaiting transportation to Australia.  Look up Spike Island on RootsChat and on internet for more information. There were other military barracks in County Cork.

Regular army and militia units went backwards and forwards between mainland Britain and Ireland during the Napoleonic War period. Ireland was invaded by French forces in 1798 and the United Irishmen staged rebellions that year. There was another attempted rising a few years later.

Some wives accompanied their husbands. Some soldiers married Irish women. Some babies were born onboard ships crossing Irish Sea.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm thinking unlikely.
But then there was a stately home near to Caldwell, Stanwick Hall. Perhaps her father worked for them?
I don't know, but it's strange how her place of birth changed when she got older to London. It's not like she could pretend where she was born as it's a small village and people would have known.

Did the owners of the stately home have property in London?
Mary Ann may not have been sure where she was born if she'd moved around in childhood.
Cowban

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 June 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
The reality is that families migrated to the other side of the world, so moving around a country is a much easier thing to do and if people where looking for work and/or following other neighbours/family or their employer wanted them to work elsewhere where they had property and/or a business they went.

The only way you will know is to find the records these people generated during their lifetime, cross reference  and prove it is the correct person and not someone with the same name
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 June 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
There are two places in Yorkshire called North Cave and South Cave. I was unable to find a suitable Mary Ann in the census which is why I requested further information.

Venelow

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thank you for your all your comments, Interesting thoughts. Sorry for the delayed reply I have been a tad busy at work.

Her name was Mary Ann Hodgson B abt 1811-13 either in Caldwell or London according to the census returns. Her Father was John Hodgson and mother Elizabeth b Caldwell 1789 ish although I have not located a suitable baptism for her in Caldwell as yet despite them being available online for this area.

She appears on the census as Mary Robinson in 1841 living with her husband and two children in Caldwell.
Then in 1851 living in Caldwell as a widow with her mother and three children in 1851. (The third child Jonathan was born well after her 1st husband died)
She then rocks up in Caldwell in 1861 living with her new husband as Mary A Graham with her birthplace being “Middlesex ?Cove London”
From then on she keeps the name Graham and is down as born London.
The helpful relatives are her mother and 3rd son who help to ensure my conviction that this is the same woman.
It’s just a bit strange.
Does this help in any way?
BW
Yvonne

ps I should add that the parish records for Stanwick Saint John on FindMyPast do not show a convincing baptism for Mary Ann Hodgson. There seem to have been two families with the same name. One with a labourer father and one who was a carpenter/wheelright whomlived longer that Mary Ann’s father.
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 June 18 06:47 BST (UK) »
I have posted an image of the birth location for Mary Ann Hodgson  from the 1851 census return on the decyphering board. Link below.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795152.0

BW

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 June 18 07:31 BST (UK) »
Vonni,

I can’t find the Robinson family in 1841 nor any children’s names that match in GRO index.
Can you post the details please.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 June 18 07:40 BST (UK) »
Oh yes sorry, she was living in Ovington in 1841... that might be why you couldn’t find her.
I have a tendency to think of the villages, esp. Eppleby and Caldwell and Forcett as more or less the same place as my family were from there and they are spoken about as if they are the same.

Full reference below:

Ovington Yorkshire HO107/1245/Book: 16/Folio: 4/p 4

The first reference to her being born in London is in 1861
They were actually living in Eppleby

James Graham Head
Mary A Graham. Wife
Jonathan Robinson son in law
Thomas Graham son
George Graham son

BW
Vonni