Author Topic: The HAWKINS of Croughton & Brackley areas of Northamptionshire.  (Read 917 times)

Offline Researcher1953

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The HAWKINS of Croughton & Brackley areas of Northamptionshire.
« on: Sunday 10 June 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have a dilemma  concerning the number of John Hawkins that lived in the Brackley area of Northamptonshire in the early years of the 19th Century and how they all inter-relate.

From sketchy hand written notes from now dead family members indicates that one set of my Great-Great-Grandparents were a George and Jemima Hawkins (nee Moss).

I suspect that a George HAWKINS (and the one I am researching) was born in 1838.  On the FreeBMD website there is no actual record for a George, but there are 3 entries (1 in Q.1 and 2 in Q.2) for "MALE HAWKINS" and I suspect that one of these unnamed babies later becomes George Hawkins.  His father John Hawkins I suspect is one of the John Hawkins that seems to have been born between 1804 and 1087 and I have a hunch (but only a hunch) that it was the John Hawkins born in 1806.  A John Hawkins initially marries a Louisa Sturch (b.1815) in Oct 1837 and gives birth to George in 1838.  Louisa (Sturch) dies in 1840 and there are no further children of that marriage.

There are other John Hawkins' being born around the early years of the 19th Century in the Croughton and Brackley area of Northamptonshire and they of course have children.

George Hawkins marries a Jemima Moss on 4 Feb 1862 and they have 5 children (if the 1871 Census is accurate).  However, in the 1871 census both John Hawkins (b.1806) and Jemima Hawkins are both recorded as being widow/ers and living under the same roof in the Brackley area! Now I have no way of knowing whether the Widower John Hawkins is the father-in-law of the widow Jemima Hawkins or one of the other John Hawkins born at the early years of the 19th Century.  There is one final complication that in 1872 there was a marriage between a John Hawkins and a Jemima Hawkins again in the Croughton/Brackley area.

The question that I have is: Is Jemima both daughter in law and later wife of the same John Hawkins or does Jemima go on to marry one of the other John Hawkins living in the Brackley area?
NAMES: Baker, Combe, Coumbe, Parry, Pictor, Reeve, Stubbings.
AREAS: London/Middx (Chelsea, Fulham, Hammersmith, Putney & Wandsworth, AND East Ham/West Ham districts), Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and the West Country.

NAMES: Graham, Higham, Proctor, Shaw & Taylor.
AREA: Lancashire, Liverpool, Preston & North West.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: The HAWKINS of Croughton & Brackley areas of Northamptionshire.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
The General Register Office (GRO) has:
birth Mar qtr 1838 Brackley vol 15 p226 HAWKINS (unnamed male) mmn STURCH
the Jun qtr 1838 births are mmn HAYNES and mmn COX

BUT - there is also
death Jun qtr 1839 Brackley vol 15 p142 HAWKINS George age 1
who you would need to rule out.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The HAWKINS of Croughton & Brackley areas of Northamptionshire.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
There are two Georges baptised in Croughton in 1838 - one to John & Louisa and the other to George & Hannah. I suspect it is the latter who dies in 1839 (the burial register does not elucidate) given John's son marries in 1862

The John/Jemima marriage is in Banbury - both say they are living in Neithrop. John's father is William, a labourer. He makes his mark

John who marries Louisa Stirch in 1837 is son of William Hawkins, labourer. He makes his mark