Author Topic: Rough year of migration from Scotland to England  (Read 1720 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rough year of migration from Scotland to England
« on: Sunday 10 June 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Firstly, I recognise there will not be any one record that states when these people moved to England, as it would be considered an internal move. But here are the migrants:

Eliza MacGregor (b. 1817, Farringdon, Hampshire)
John MacGregor (b. 1852, Maryburgh, Ross-shire)
Alexander MacGregor (b. 1860, Contin, Ross-shire)

Firstly, this family is a very unusual one. The matriach moved 600 miles from her village in Hampshire (1841 Census + christening) to marry in Scotland in 1847 (in Contin). Her birthplace is given as England or Hampshire, England on the 3 censuses she appears on. The 3 are last seen on the 1871 Census in Contin, before appearing at Brickell Terrace, Sydenham in 1881. This gives Eliza's birthplace as Farringdon. She died in 1886.

I realise that Eliza would not have been able to vote. Would her sons? I'm hoping that some old electoral register might record them before 1881, and give a year that might suggest when the 3 moved to the south of England from the far north of Scotland. Obviously being such a massive distance even now, might they have lived in Liverpool or somewhere for a time? I don't know.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rough year of migration from Scotland to England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
Only the well-off had the vote until after the Great War, a lot of "Big Hooses" in the Highlands had English indoor staff who came up with the toffs for the season.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Whilst researching my own Black Isle ancestry I came across quite a lot of adverts in the Caledonian and Glasgow Herald newspapers for sale of estates and part estates.  This could be the reason why your family moved.

Whenever anyone in any of my branches moved across boundaries I noticed they either moved to a place where friends and neighbours already lived, or they moved with their employer.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if they'd have the vote but I read somewhere that all men were allowed to vote at some point during the 19th century, while votes for women  followed the Great War.

My family wasn't rich so I don't think she would've bought an estate. Working on one is very likely though. I note there's a John McGregor born in Scotland living with the Streater family in Farringdon in 1841, so she likely travelled with him. I don't know anything about John but she married Alexander MacGregor in 1847.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 18 03:01 BST (UK) »
Was there an occupation for Alexander on the marriage &/or birth of John, what was the address & his occupation on the birth of Alexander 1860?

What were the addresses on the Census' (Scotland)?

It's quite possible if she was working for someone she may have been married from their property/land, possibly her husband worked for the same people & continued there after their marriage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 18 03:20 BST (UK) »
1861 - Address Kinellan, R&C

Alexander Mcgregor 45 Gardener (Domestic Serv)
Eliza Mcgregor 43
Simon Mcgregor 11 b Fodderty, R&C
John Mcgregor 9
Alexander Mcgregor 1

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 18 03:34 BST (UK) »
A possible for Employer?

MACKENZIE ALEXANDER SIR
Proprietor
CROFT KINLOCH OF KINNELLAN ESTATE OF COUL, CONTIN
VR011500001-

MACKENZIE WILLIAM SIR
Proprietor
KINNELLAN ESTATE OF COUL, CONTIN
VR011500018-

Annie

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks! The younger Alexander was born at Coul.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
The campaign for "Votes for Women!" was essentially "Votes for Middle-Class Women!", they sought parity with middle-class men, the only ones who had the vote. There was a wider franchise in Germany at the outbreak of the Great War than there was in Britain!

https://coulhousehotel.com/coul-stuff/history/

Skoosh.