Author Topic: Rough year of migration from Scotland to England  (Read 1719 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rough year of migration from Scotland to England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
That makes sense. Thank you.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Also, Simon McGregor appears on the 1851 Census at 'Tollie' and died there in 1859. Is there an estate here?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
Another Mackenzie estate, "Brahan with Tollie & Kildun!" property of the earl of Seaforth.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
When I initially saw your request yesterday, I looked at the main points for Farringdon, Hampshire. It's near a town with a railway station, was known for woollen garments and importantly had many rich people who needed gardeners. Whilst researching my lowly status Black Isle family I've come across several rich Scottish Black Isle landowners also having property in southern English counties.  I reckon your family met courtesy of his employer needing an experienced gardener. He must have been an excellent gardener because there was quite a competition amongst estate owners as to who had the best laid out grounds.  For instance one historic gardener in particular is still known today and that's "Capability Brown".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
MACGREGOR ALEXANDER
Tenant
MUIR OF TOLLIE ESTATE OF BRAHAN, FODDERTY
VR011500001-

Also a Simon MacGregor there at the same time as a Tenant i.e. look to be related?

MACKENZIE STEWART HONOURABLE MRS
Proprietor
MUIR OF TOLLIE ESTATE OF BRAHAN, FODDERTY
VR011500001-

Alexander MacGregor is gone from there by 1865

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 June 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
Rosinish,

Simon was my great-great-great-grandfather and he was a tenant at Tollie. Simon did marry a MacKenzie in Fodderty in 1811 so they appear to have been quite prominent. Alexander died in Contin in 1861. Simon's father was also named Alexander and I know little of Simon's family other than his parents being Alexander MacGregor and Mary Grant on his death certificate.

Rena,

That's certainly plausible. Thanks for all of that information.

Skoosh,

Thanks!