Author Topic: McLeod/MacLeod - 1856/7 ship from Liverpool to Melbourne  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Ross2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLeod/MacLeod - 1856/7 ship from Liverpool to Melbourne
« on: Monday 11 June 18 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I'm looking for information on passengers on a ship named 'McLeod' or 'MacLeod' that arrived in Australia (Melbourne) in 1856 or 1857.

I haven't been able to find the arrival of one of my ancestors, but I do have this lead on a possible travel companion. Benedetto CRAMERI was listed with my ancestor, Pietro VASSELLA, in a publication in Switzerland (Poschiavo) in October 1856. In essence, it was a notice that said they were emigrating and all were invited to settle debts. Poschiavo is a very small town, so it's possible they travelled together.

Pietro was naturalised in Sydney and the document states he arrived there 'via Melbourne in 1856' - no details of the ship unfortunately. I believe I found Benedetto's naturalisation in Victoria and it states he was from Poschiavo and arrived in Australia in 1856 on the 'MacLeod' from Liverpool. My assumption is that they may have travelled to Australia together, so I'm trying to find information on the 'MacLeod'.

I can't find any records for this ship on PROV or Ancestry, but have found a reference in the Age newspaper on Trove. It shows the 'McLeod', a ship from Liverpool (14 Dec), arriving in Melbourne (Hobson's Bay) on 10 Mar 1857, with 137 passengers in steerage. Given the October 1856 notice, I believe they must have left in 1856 and arrived in 1857, so this could be their arrival.

Does anybody know of any resources (online or otherwise) that might give me some information about the 'MacLeod' and it's passengers? Or somewhere else I should ask this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLeod/MacLeod - 1856/7 ship from Liverpool to Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 18 06:14 BST (UK) »
Ancestry's Victorian shipping passenger lists are taken from PROV anyway.  Not all manifests survived.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ross2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando,

I was afraid that it might be something like missing records. I guess I was hoping there might be some other source that could help, but I guess it's a long shot.

Ross

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross

I have just found an interesting publication about emigrants from Poschiavo to Australia.
They took the information from the family register of the San Vittore parish in Poschiavo.

There are two Benedetto Crameri, one (*1837) emigrated with his brother Giacomo Antonio (*1834) and their deceased father was Bernardo. The other was named Benedetto Giuseppe (*1854) and his father was the deceased Pietro Crameri.
https://www.e-periodica.ch/digbib/view?pid=qgi-001:1983:52::281#281

There are some letters from men of Poschiavo who emigrated to Australia in the newspaper "Grigione Italiano" of the 18.12.1857:
http://newspaper.archives.rero.ch/Olive/APA/SNL_FR/default.aspx#panel=document

The State Archives of Graubünden have some interesting genealogical records and documents.
English version: https://www.gr.ch/EN/institutions/administration/ekud/afk/sag/services/collections/familienforschung/Seiten/default.aspx
German version:
https://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/verwaltung/ekud/afk/sag/dienstleistungen/bestaende/familienforschung/Seiten/default.aspx

Regards
Svenja

Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
hi don't know if this is of any help  from the Hampshire telegraph & sussex chronicle Portsmouth march 7th 1857, reads as follows. McLeod from London to Melbourne march 2nd passed by Asiatic wind e.s.e

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 05:22 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry.com.au
Benedetto Crameri  b 1834 Naturalisation 1868 (which you have)
ditto b 1835 passenger Victoria to Sydney July 1864 per "Rangtira 1"
ditto b 1834 arr 7 Oct 1863 Hobsons Bay (ie Port Phillip) departure Port Chalmers NZ. Ship Alhambra, nationality Italian.
Information on Naturalisation could be incorrect?
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Ross2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
There are two Benedetto Crameri, one (*1837) emigrated with his brother Giacomo Antonio (*1834) and their deceased father was Bernardo. The other was named Benedetto Giuseppe (*1854) and his father was the deceased Pietro Crameri.
https://www.e-periodica.ch/digbib/view?pid=qgi-001:1983:52::281#281

Hi Svenja,

That's a great find - I'll add it to my research. However, there may be another Benedetto Crameri, as the one I'm interested in has his father listed as Benedetto as well (from the Swiss publication I have). There seem to have been quite a few Crameris that emigrated from Poschiavo.

Anyway, thanks for that and your other info. I'll have to dig deeper to see if anything else turns up with them.

Regards,
Ross

Offline Ross2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
hi don't know if this is of any help  from the Hampshire telegraph & sussex chronicle Portsmouth march 7th 1857, reads as follows. McLeod from London to Melbourne march 2nd passed by Asiatic wind e.s.e

Thanks harrywrag - I appreciate every little bit of information. It all helps build a picture.

Offline Ross2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry.com.au
Information on Naturalisation could be incorrect?

Not sure if the naturalisation record has incorrect info, or if there are just more people named Benedetto Crameri running around at that time than I realised. I believe there are at least 3 that emigrated from Poschiavo, so it appears to be a common name. The area is also an Italian speaking district, so might explain that one being described as Italian.

Anyway, thanks for your post. I'll keep a lookout for other information to try to piece it all together.

Regards,
Ross