Author Topic: Le Wyneard ??  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Le Wyneard ??
« on: Monday 11 June 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
I'm researching an 11x great grandfather, Lewis Taylor, who died in Moreton Corbet in 1623. He was rector of that parish until just before his death.

Luckily, the CofE Clergy database ( http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/index.jsp ) has him listed: Person Id - 29753. The information given for him records that he was ordained on 20 Sept 1572 at Le Wyneard by the Bishop of Gloucester, Richard Cheyney. He moved on to become curate and then rector of Frodesley and rector of Moreton Corbet.

I know where Frodesley and Moreton Corbet are but, although I've googled various spellings, I can't locate Wyneard in Gloucestershire or Shropshire. The only one that comes up so far is in Co. Durham, which is certainly not the correct place.

Does anyone know of this place, please.

Thanks

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Le Wyneard ??
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Ok, so looking at the ordination record, the bishop was Coventry, ordaining bishop Gloucester.

Is "Le Wynard" in the midlands?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Ok, so looking at the ordination record, the bishop was Coventry, ordaining bishop Gloucester.

Is "Le Wynard" in the midlands?

I assume so. I've checked Lichfield/Coventry/Gloucester/Hereford

I have given details of the ordination record in my first post.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
I'm slowly going around the various possible counties, looking at parish names. I've found a possible in Herefordshire - Weonards or St Weonards.

WEONARD'S (ST.), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD, 7¼ miles (W. by N.) from Ross, containing 642 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Lugwardine, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/StWeonards
and
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Lugwardine

:-\

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
In 1577 the appointment of Phillips ketheroe as curate, it is spelt wenarde, so obviously the spelling was variable.

I have looked at the living of lugwardine and its chapels before, and it was used to provide an income for various cathedral officials, I doubt any of them went there, I would think it a possible place for an ordination of someone intended to become rector, especially if the post was in the gift of a relative.

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mike, for further info.

I've now to find who the relative was as he took over the living of Frodesley the year after his ordination. The Moreton Corbet living was obviously the Corbets but that came later. I have a book about the landed families of Shropshire tucked away somewhere. I shall have to dig it out.

His will seems overly religious and only has about 5 lines of bequests!

Gadget

Add - seems the Scrivens were landowners around Frodesley. Reading through the bits and pieces on the Scrivens, there is also a link to Shrawardine ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrawardine ) . This could also be considered as a mistranscription or place or ordination.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
A scrivener is the patron of the living at a slightly later date, followed by a Cholmondley Edwards, but in 1577 landowners and the Clergy had only recently recovered their leasurly lifestyle after the turbulence of Bloody Mary

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 June 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Just put some more info on my last post.

A very interesting time to be a clergyman - from 1572  to 1623  :-X