Author Topic: Owen Scahill Death recorded at Orange NSW  (Read 3116 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Scahill Death recorded at Orange NSW
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 June 18 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi the cycling Owen is his nephew. All three other brothers came out to NZ. My cuz is lucky in that there is only one Scahill in the berg they came from in the tithes apploments and that is an Edmund. Assumed son Owen had our mystery man Owen and named eldest son Edmund. While the 3 hits from 1909 to 1914 are not conclusive evidence, the fact that all three other brothers settled here lends weight to them.

Will ask my cuz about the cert when she gets back from Ireland where she is visiting her 2nd cousins if she wants to get it, as after all,  he is her relative. Maybe the rellies over there can throw some light on him.

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Other than the tax department, which you are not going to see,  what "official record" between 1914 and 1959 do you actually expect to see ?

Have you any useful information for our OP

Sue

Well, yes.  Yes I do.

Have realistic expectations.

The OP expressed some surprise that she or he can find no online official record of her ancestor between between 1914 and his death in 1959 iirc.

Most of the online resources you refer to,  are 19th century resources.  Lists of convicts,  early immigrants,  and other things.    For early and mid 20th century,  you won't find much government records online,  for privacy reasons.

Other than indexes to records for births ( to 1918 ), marriages ( to1968 ) and deaths ( to 1988 ),  there is not much else.   Some of the electoral rolls are online from non-government sources. 

You could investigate land records but this is not easy unless you know what the land is.   Not much else from the government is or will be published online.

For an unexceptional person apparently not in trouble with the law,  I am still bemused as to what records the OP was actually expecting to see,  particularly given his or her rather sneering remarks about Australian record-keeping.

So,  two pieces of advice.

1)  Have realistic expectations.  and
2)  Learn to use Trove properly.   This is by far the most useful source of information for the relevant period.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 June 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Without going too far off topic, may I again gently mention that the NSW Resources board here at RChat is full of live links that do cover live links to a good deal of recent details, not just late18th/all 19th/much of 20th centuries.   

:) One example would be the link to Ryerson index, a site that is updated very regularly.  I have checked just now, and I can see the newspaper details for a death/funeral I attended earlier THIS MONTH. 

:) There’s also at the very first item of reply 1 of the NSW resources, the live link to whitepages ... and next item to that is the live link to ‘where is’... real time info there.  I have just checked, and YES, my cousin who moved home LAST WEEKEND ... their new phone number is listed, and their new street (new subdivision in new suburb) is there at where is.   

:) I see Trove listed and I have just checked the link offered.  Works perfectly, and I notice there’s currently 454 newspapers digitised there for NSW .... just read an article from a newspaper issue from 2010,   I see the Commonwealth Gazette is up to December 2012 and NSW Gazette to 2001.  I can find engagement announcement for a family member in the 1990s in the ACT ...

:) Yes, many/most of the links in the NSW Resources Board’s lists are for 19th century and  yes, in a strict sense, only government records are Official records, but I am sure that the Sands Directories up to mid 1930s are a valid resource, well recognised by family historians and perhaps are well used by professional genealogists.   And as RChatters, we are not looking for the living, but helping our fellow members with their research into their deceased ancestors. 

:) There are cemetery records, which are findable when combining cemetery indexes and/or NSW BDM online indexes. Various live links are there on the NSW Resources Board. 

I know there’s many other examples too, but may I please urge Xiaolu and everyone following any thread, that we are here as volunteers to share ... and our Global Moderator caring for our Australia Board has recently needed to post the following message on a thread:    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=794104.msg6517152#msg6517152
xiaolu there are nicer ways of putting your point across. I was brought up with the expression that if you can not say anything nice or constructive say nothing at all.

Sarah
,,,,,  For an unexceptional person apparently not in trouble with the law,  I am still bemused as to what records the OP was actually expecting to see,  particularly given his or her rather sneering remarks about Australian record-keeping.

So,  two pieces of advice.

1)  Have realistic expectations.  and
2)  Learn to use Trove properly.   This is by far the most useful source of information for the relevant period.

May I also publically thank the OP for their kind PM that I received yesterday.  I understand that our OP is helping a member of their extended family with their research into their extended family.  Once that person is available to consider obtaining the 1959 death cert info then perhaps we can all  help further.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 June 18 13:01 BST (UK) »

The OP expressed some surprise that she or he can find no online official record of her ancestor between between 1914 and his death in 1959 iirc.

Well, actually this is what KiwiHugh said.....

To simply disappear from records for 45 years in the 20th century takes some doing.

Information from offline resources has been offered.

Hopefully the information has been of help to Hugh. 

Trove newspaper Archive is certainly valuable as a resource, but it may be a matter of opinion as to whether it  is

2)  ....... Trove ........  This is by far the most useful source of information for the relevant period.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk