Author Topic: Owen Scahill Death recorded at Orange NSW  (Read 3119 times)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Scahill Death recorded at Orange NSW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 June 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
His death entry on NSW  Dept of Justice website "SCAHILL  OWEN 11731/1959 father OWEN mother MARY   death registered ORANGE  implies whoever was the informant knew this correct information. Lack of gravestone could be financial.
If it was my research I would purchase his death certificate: it will tell you if married, how long in Aus, and who the informant was. Invaluable information.
Seems he slipped under the radar and avoided WW1 or enlisted under an alias.
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 June 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
......  To simply disappear from records for 45 years in the 20th century takes some doing.

I agree with shume ....

Disappear in the Central West of New South Wales between say 1914 (commencement WWI) to death in 1959 ...  Yes, very possible that you cannot find records for him in that era in NSW.    You have him born Galway, Ireland.     It was still possible to 'disappear' in NSW records even in the 1940s, and perhaps up until late 1980s when 100 points for ID rules came around.

a) He may not have been in NSW until shortly before his death ... NSW death certs (or the cheaper version, 'official transcription') have space for 'how long in the colonies/states ...
b) In NSW it became compulsory to enrol to vote in state elections in the 1920s if you were a British Subject, aged 21 and over, resident in NSW, not in gaol, not a bankrupt ... etc .    I think Galway would be in the Republic of Ireland, and in the 1920s it separated from British rule, so it may be that he was 'staunch' Irish, and may not have considered he was a British Subject, so choose not to enrol.
c) He may have become known by a different name ... no need to provide proof of name at that time, just become known as .....  (still possible, but now it is quite difficult)

ADD
WWI enlistment ... AIF ... not compulsory to enlist, all volunteers, two referendums on conscription during the war, both times the NO vote succeeded.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
Other than the tax department, which you are not going to see,  what "official record" between 1914 and 1959 do you actually expect to see ?

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Off topic again. Have found Edmund here in NZ. Variously under Edward, Schahill, Edmond and just rarely under Edmund Scahill.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 June 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Other than the tax department, which you are not going to see,  what "official record" between 1914 and 1959 do you actually expect to see ?

Hello xiaolu,
If you were to go to the Australian Resources section at the top of the Australian board, you could click on NSW, or indeed, any other state.

Within those links there are many possibilities for "official record"

When less experienced researchers place their inquiries with the Rootschat team, they may find the list of resources a little daunting or simply not know where to begin.

Likewise many here have resources not available online and are happy to search and  share.

The spirit of Rootschat is to encourage and support people in finding their ancestors and where possible, offer positive guidance.

Have you useful suggestions for our OP?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 June 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue. I have not had that many relatives living historically in Australia and had been hoping the more experienced Ozzy hunters could help.
It just seems weird that in a five year period he turns up in NZ records 3 times then nadda till his death.
Technically Owen is a relative of a relative but the 3rd cousin I am corresponding with is a relative newbie and thought I would try and help out. Have now found two siblings of Owens they did not know about and at getting dangerously close to milking time last night/this morning found a wedding at our equivalent to TROVE that  included my 3rd cousins Mother and Aunt as brides maids and Edmund's daughters as  niece flower girls to a couple that neither of us had heard of. That and Edmund's wife having the same maiden surname as her Great grandmother who did marry a blood relative of mine.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 June 18 02:52 BST (UK) »
 :)  I am NSW centric, and I have first hand experience of searching Central West NSW records, so please be assured that it was definitely possible to be 'not findable' in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, in and around Orange NSW.   I have phoned several of my older relatives (I was born 1947, one is two generations older than me, the others just one generation older than me) .... one is retired NSW BDM senior officer ... all have long standing interest in genealogy ... long before internet ...  they concur, easy to be 'not findable' in NSW until the Qintex scandal in Australia prompted the ID rule changes 1990s  ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qintex

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 June 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
Official Transcriptions of NSW death certs are cheaper than the real deal document.  They will give you the same info as the real deal doc, and they are already transcribed by experienced transcribers, familiar with the handwriting of the scribe who lodged the registration if it is not a typed/EDP/computer lodged registration. - budget for around $20Au, expect to receive as pdf attachment to email. :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

What info?  It does depend on the informant's knowledge, but the headings on the document cover the following:

Full name,
sex,
age,
date & place of death,
usual place of residence,
occupation
and marital status.

Place of marriage/s
age when married,
full name of spouse (including where known any other names).
Living Children's name and ages, and noting any by at least gender and then age who had succumbed already, all listed under each marriage if more than one marriage, .

Parents' names and mother's maiden name.

Cause/s of death and duration of last illness.

Burial or cremation date and place. (often including name of clergy at graveside)

Funeral director

Any endorsements

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/registry-records.aspx
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

ADD
Of course, as mentioned earlier, the document will also include the response re 'how long in the colony/state'... etc

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 June 18 04:38 BST (UK) »

:)

Who is the Owen SCAHILL mentioned
a)   NZ Archway record indexed as https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=24711202  Assisted passage for Mr Owen Scahill, SS Ionic,  perhaps in 1908-09?
for Cycling without light in the newspaper digitised at papers past  https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/press    pg 7  28 April 1936 Magistrate’s Court ?

SCAHILL as a surname is found in NSW official records from around 1812 ... Happy to look up if needed ...

JM