Author Topic: Tintype image - need help with dating & some TLC please  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tintype image - need help with dating & some TLC please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 June 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith...great photo...I would say this was 1880s and the photo is a reverse image...the boys jacket is fastened the wrong way.
Carol

Hi Carol - I must have looked at this image 100 times & not noticed that it was reversed  ::)
I'm always taken by the mad backdrop & the little lad's severe hair parting  :o
Keith

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 June 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Carol for reminding me, I have now flipped my image to put it the right way round. It's another great photo, I hope you are able to work out who they are.
Pat

Thanks Pat for putting the image the right way round - not that I had spotted that it was reversed. Now Carol has given me a starting point I can narrow down my suspects.
Keith

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 June 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
Another wonderful portrait, Keith! To me there seems to be a sense of sadness in it. Sadness is fine in a photo but I've tried to balance it with a 'warmer' tint.

mike

Hi Mike - you certainly have given the image a lift with your warmer tint. I do find the portrait confusing - on the one had it appears to be trying to portray a happy event but the sea in the background looks very foreboding and the children look somewhat down at heal & melancholy. Perhaps if I can work out who the boy & girl are it may make more sense  :-\
Thanks again for you work on this one.
Keith

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 June 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat

I like that version Pat...you have captured the atmosphere of the photo...I think the young girl fears her little Brother might fall off the rock  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Carol. It is a most unusual photo, the children are not really dressed for a day by the sea and that sky looks really stormy, hard to work out for Keith I would think.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
Could it be a studio photo? The rocks look real but I think the background looks like a painting.

Anyhow, here's my late try.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Could it be a studio photo? The rocks look real but I think the background looks like a painting.

Anyhow, here's my late try.

Peter

Hi Peter - yes I agree I think it is a studio photo. Great clean up - the more I look at the image the more detail I can see in it.
Thanks for your work on this one
Keith

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
It's very much a studio photo. The rock appears paper mache and there is no dirt at it's base, just completely flat floor. Higher quality studio than average as they had more props than a chair or pedestal. As to the boys jacket, I agree it's more than likely backwards in the photo for a male, however, some toddlers in that era did have the buttons on the opposite side as they did not dress themselves (the same reason why womens jackets are buttoned on the opposite side.) Can't be sure, with no other clues, but odds are like 90-10 in favor of it being flipped.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
I agree it's a studio photo with a photographers backdrop and pape mache rocks which were a common feature. Tintypes are a mirror image and that's why the jacket is shown fastened the wrong way.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU