Author Topic: Missing will/administration bond?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing will/administration bond?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
But after that, I think you need to go to the microfilms at the National Archives, probably ordered by year, and surname letter.

Unfortunately they are not ordered by surname letter. First you go to the paper indexes on the open shelves (PROB 12), which will give you the month the grant was issued and the folio number. You need both these before tackling the microfilms.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
But after that, I think you need to go to the microfilms at the National Archives, probably ordered by year, and surname letter.

Unfortunately they are not ordered by surname letter. First you go to the paper indexes on the open shelves (PROB 12), which will give you the month the grant was issued and the folio number. You need both these before tackling the microfilms.
Oh, thanks for the clarification :). So are the indexes per year?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, annual lists, alpha-sorted by initial letter but not alphabetical.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestions melba & bookbox. I have double checked the indices for York & Canterbury & can't find anything for John or Ann using surname variants and no year range in case probate took a lot longer than usual. I am unlikely to get to the NA in person :(
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestions melba & bookbox. I have double checked the indices for York & Canterbury & can't find anything for John or Ann using surname variants and no year range in case probate took a lot longer than usual. I am unlikely to get to the NA in person :(
You could ask if someone wouldn't mind checking for you who regularly visits the NA (within reason, within a short range of searching). Otherwise there are researcher directories, where you can pay someone to look. It does seem strange really that none of the main companies have got round to scanning them, I wonder if they are even aware they exist!?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 June 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
It does seem strange really that none of the main companies have got round to scanning them

Possibly in the pipeline, I'm told. Can't say more.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 June 18 13:21 BST (UK) »

If you are able to visit an LDS Family History Centre (they aren't viewable over the web), they have digitised copies of indexes for Administrations from the PCC - see https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/295797?availability=Family%20History%20Library.  There aren't any films listed for Administrations pre 1840s in that collection, but they may be under a different collection as I've definitely seen one for the 1600s.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day