Author Topic: S.H.V Birthplace???  (Read 3650 times)

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: S.H.V Birthplace???
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
If you search for SH* you will also find a few others - S.H.Cte (e.g. Philip Mansfield Abel) and one S.H.Extract (Baglee).

Added: also sometimes SHCert.

Short H? Version?

Could it be to do with the version of the birth certificate provided as evidence - maybe the shorter form birth certificates didn't include location of birth, only date?
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hmm yes.. "ShortHand Version" seems a likely explanation
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zoe44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou..
Short hand version does seem most likely reason.

I wasn't taking into account that birth certificates needed to be provided at the time of army registration so thank you for all your thoughts!! 😊

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou..
Short hand version does seem most likely reason.

I wasn't taking into account that birth certificates needed to be provided at the time of army registration so thank you for all your thoughts!! 😊

Did they?  :-\ I thought many underage boys enlisted in WW1 .... they obviously did not supply a b/c.

Why would his children's birth certificates need to be supplied?  :-\

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
I thought maybe they kept details of dependents (so wife and children's date of birth) in the event of pension and disability payments etc.

I would guess though that they had some kind of check so you couldn't claim for more children than there were, so it was the children's birth certs rather than the one for the man himself.

However, I really don't know for sure.
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that birth certificates were required for recruits during WW1 as the attestation papers ask for apparent age or some such wording, rather than real age, or evidence of such.  Which probably accounts for why so many 15 year olds were shipped out to an early death.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 00:13 BST (UK) »
The heading to the column asks for birth place.

I don't understand why "Short Hand Version" would be written in the birth place column. All the other children have places written in the birth place column.

Would it be usual for someone in that era to even have a copy of their birth certificate.  :-\ When were short certificates first issued and given (free) to parents?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
I have been pondering the SHV problem and got out my late Grandmother's Short Birth Certificate. (County Durham)

Lilian May Ord
Girl
Twentysecond February 1901
Place of Birth (no allowance for actual place)
Registration District Lanchester
Sub-district Tanfield

Lilian herself had penciled in Stanley, which I know is where she was born.

Short Birth Certificates where cheaper to buy as against the full ones. The Army Clerk on the WW1 forms had probably two shortened birth certificates for two of the children and had to go off the information written which would be similar to Lillian's. It was not his job to take the parents word for the births and where they actually were.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 02:19 BST (UK) »
In an era when age was a lot 'looser' and many folk didn't celebrate birthdays etc., I always wondered how the 'Particulars as to Children' in such army records were so precise in relation to dates of birth. 

It would seem plausible that the preciseness was due to birth certificates being required.  There are several contemporary examples of the short version of the birth certificate online, they have no provision for place of birth, as in this example from Southwark District in 1921:
http://www.mike-allen.org.uk/alf/bcert.htm

Edited to add:  The following notice from the Western Gazette of December 1915 might be relevant:
PUBLIC NOTICES.
NOTICE TO RECRUITS.
ALL MARRIED MEN presenting themselves for Enlistment should bring their Marriage Certificates, also Birth Certificates of Children, if any, to prevent delay in the issue of Separation Allowance to their families.

And this:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/28448