Author Topic: William Miller born 1719 Branscombe/Seaton & Beer, Devon  (Read 613 times)

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Miller born 1719 Branscombe/Seaton & Beer, Devon
« on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out who were the parents of William Miller born 1719. Also confused as have him marrying Prudence Bason & Prudence Fursey in 1761, at Branscombe. There were 2 children.
Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Lance.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Miller born 1719 Branscombe/Seaton & Beer, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
The Branscombe register has William Miller marrying Prudence Basson on 11 Nov 1761. (The Curate has written Bason but she signed Prudence M Basson. I guess the M was her starting to write Miller but then realising or being told to use the name she started the ceremony with.)  There is no indication that she was or wasn't a widow.

A Prudence Furzey married Thomas Bason at Salcombe Regis, 17 Apr 1745. No signatures at that time so no way to tell just from the registers whether she was the same woman. It is certainly possible. If she was in her early twenties the first time she would have been young enough to have children from the second marriage.

There were of course several William Millers baptised in Devon within a couple of years of 1719, but perhaps the most likely is the William Meller at Branscombe 7 Oct 1718, son of William and Hannah.

David

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
I have been on Family Search and found that Prudence Fursey did indeed marry Thomas Bason in Salcombe Regis on 17.04.1745 and they had 5 children, the last one was born in 1757. Prudence then married William Miller on 11.11.1761. They had 2 children. Ellis Miller born May 1762, who married Jane Marchant in 1786. Joshua Miller born December 1765, who married Elizabeth Mutter in 1793. They had 5 children.
Still cannot find William Miller, or Meller for 1719. I do believe that William's father, or grandfather will have been christened Ellis/Elias. This christian name Ellis/Elias is repetitive in one line of the Miller families.
There was a Nicholas Miller born Branscombe in June 1721, whose parents are shown as William & Hannah but cannot find a William born in 1719

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has the entry for William Meller in 1718. I don't know why you can't find it.

They also have Ellis Miller or Veriard, son of William and Hannah, in 1715, which ties in with Ellias being popular in your line.

David

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you David. I did find the William Meller, 1718, records.
I have the records for Ellis/Elias Miller, born Branscombe 1659 child of Ellis & Jane.
Ellis born 1659 married Agnes Bragnel June 1682.