Author Topic: Puzzled over a document I found.  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzled over a document I found.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
My Ancestor was a Wireworker but admitted to the Guild of Fishmongers. I think you could buy your way into whatever guild you wanted.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
My Ancestor was a Wireworker but admitted to the Guild of Fishmongers. I think you could buy your way into whatever guild you wanted.

Why would someone want to do that? What do they gain by becoming a Freeman. My dad used to joke when he got his that he could now drive his sheep through the town and over the bridge. I can see why he got his Freedom, 9 times  Mayor etc.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 June 18 18:46 BST (UK) »

Why would someone want to do that? What do they gain by becoming a Freeman. My dad used to joke when he got his that he could now drive his sheep through the town and over the bridge. I can see why he got his Freedom, 9 times  Mayor etc.

My ancestors brother was a member of the Fishmongers Guild as well. His children went to their school and when he became infirm he and his wife lived in a Fishmongers Almshouse.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:57 BST (UK) »

My ancestors brother was a member of the Fishmongers Guild as well. His children went to their school and when he became infirm he and his wife lived in a Fishmongers Almshouse.

Yes I can understand that. Sounds like being a member of the Masons or Oddfellows, they look after their own. So it's about becoming a member of  Guild for security.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 June 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
So it's about becoming a member of  Guild for security.
No, not entirely. By the time your ancestor obtained Freedom of the City, it was mostly about business credibility and connections, as well as social status.

But Freedom of the City of London is a little different from other cities or boroughs. Before 1835, it was not permitted for anyone to practise a craft/skill or carry out a trade within (or very close to) the City of London without being a member of a City Livery Company. After he had become a freeman of his own Company, he could then be presented by his Company for Freedom of the City of London.

The standard research guide may be helpful ...
https://search.lma.gov.uk/rg_pdf_creator/index.php?research_guide=18

ADDED - link modified