Author Topic: What is the Military Branch  (Read 1194 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Military Branch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Am I seeing Corporal's stripes on the standing soldier? I am not sure.

Offline shirleyarule1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
I see them too.  I believe this to be the Herbert John Scott and not the other photo.  Herbert also received some medals.  I now know that they cannot be the same person since the uniforms are of two different countries.  I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this.  Now to figure out who the younger man is.

Offline shirleyarule1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
I did find the following ( a brother to Herbert John Scott)

SCOTT - Pte. Arthur Alfred, 4945. 1st/7th Bn. Sherwood Foresters.  Died of wounds 8th July,
1916.  Age 19.  Son of Arthur and Elizabeth Scott, of 79 Seymour St., Carlton Road, Nottingham.
I.H.13.

Could he have worn a uniform like the man in the first photo?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
The standing man is a (british) artilleryman.  He is wearing one rank stripe, at that time the badge of a bombardier, one below a corporal.  There is a medal card for a Herbert J Scott, ending the war as an acting Corporal Royal Field Artillery, no service record unfortunately, two medals only..  There is also a Herbert John Scott who served first in the RFA and then the Labour Corps, he had the full set of three medals and a Silver War Badge, discharged wounded in 1918, probably not him, he was a Gunner when in the RFA (below bombardier).

The first man is quite definitely, as jim1 said, in the Canadian army.  Arthur Alfred would have worn a uniform similar to that of the standing man albeit with a different cap badge and probably puttees (the leg "bandages") rather than riding boots and spurs.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia