Author Topic: Some dead-end marriages maybe parishes would clear up  (Read 2642 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Some dead-end marriages maybe parishes would clear up
« on: Tuesday 12 June 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a few marriages that don't aid at all in my research. However, some kind RootsChat members have viewed records and told me what parishes some people were of. Marriages I'm stuck with are:

Thomas Andrews and Betty Parker, married 11th of August 1771, Bremhill, Wiltshire
John Andrews and Mary Seates, married 28th of December 1740, Bremhill, Wiltshire
Austin Bass and Elizabeth Northwood, married 23rd of February 1789, Maulden, Bedfordshire
John Baynes and Mary Halls, married 1st of November 1793, Radwinter, Essex
Thomas Beagley and Mary Bettesworth, married 4th of September 1787, Frensham, Surrey
William Goddard and Mary Tredget, married 7th of December 1779, Edmonton, Middlesex
John Hinson and Catherine Game, married 24th of November 1806, Shoreditch, Middlesex
John Kearsley and Sarah Walding, married 7th of October 1821, Hanwell, Middlesex
Thomas King and Augusta Adlam, married 3rd of November 1761, Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire
Luke Lapham and Hannah Forward, married 24th of January 1803, Kilmington, Somerset (now Wiltshire)
Robert Netherwood and Mary Newman, married 12th of October 1743, Harston, Cambridgeshire
Richard Norgate and Elizabeth Beal, married 21st of May 1778, Farringdon, Hampshire
Francis Northwood and Diana Goodman, married 14th of May 1762, Cardington, Bedfordshire
Dear Picking and Ann Murden, married 1st of November 1744, Elsworth, Cambridgeshire
Benjamin Pitts and Ann Heward, married 6th of January 1767, Newton St. Cyres, Devon
Abel Pope and Betty Richards, married 23rd of June 1806, Bremhill, Wiltshire
George Provis and Catherine Dun, married 30th of April 1812, Bremhill, Wiltshire
William Provis and Elizabeth Cale, married 6th of April 1764, Bremhill, Wiltshire
Thomas Scott and Ruth George, married 17th of December 1818, Maddington, Wiltshire
James Simpson and Lillis Boon, married 17th of December 1786, Soham, Cambridgeshire
John Simpson and Elizabeth Towler, married 22nd of November 1722, Soham, Cambridgeshire
Philip Stockwood and Elizabeth Pickard, married 6th of January 1740/1, Swavesey, Cambridgeshire
John Thake and Susannah Redhouse, married 18th of November 1782, Wimbish, Essex
William Thake and Elizabeth Ling, married 22nd December 1754, Wimbish, Essex
John Towers and Sarah Gunner formerly Ransted, married 23rd of May 1738, West Worldham, Hampshire
John Watkins and Mary Greenaway, married 31st of January 1787, St. Weonards, Herefordshire
Edward Whitworth and Mary Haddon, married 14th of January 1753, Leicester, Leicestershire
James Willis and Jane Belcher, married 10th of July 1770, Shalford, Essex
Thomas Willis and Mary Otley, married 16th of October 1800, Shalford, Essex
William Wyatt and Sarah Brown, married 2nd of July 1781, Plympton St. Mary, Devon

I'd appreciate any help! Sorry for the list. I did trim it down as many are easy due to census records saying where people were from etc.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Some dead-end marriages maybe parishes would clear up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Also John Thake and Rebecca Fitch, married 3rd of December 1812, Ashdon, Essex and John Goddard and Martha Corby, married 26th of August 1811, Edmonton, Middlesex
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 21:08 BST (UK) »
Adam,

If the parish is recorded on the marriage record, it only means that is where the parties were living at the time of the marriage, not where they were born.  It may not be of much help.  Also remember that sometimes, only a basic transcript has been accessed and that information may not be available  :(

That's a considerable list - all over the country!  Might it not be better to split it into the appropriate counties and put it on the correct county board?  Not everyone looks at the England general board, and not everyone has access to the same resources  :-\

Just a suggestion.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
I know that many will simply say of the parish but I've come across some great ones on FreeREG that gave parishes of one of the parties. I haven't been able to find the following on FreeREG and FamilySearch doesn't provide that sort of information other than dates and people. I think I probably shall break it up actually. I'm going to fully and properly write up all my work so far when I finish school tomorrow so then I think I'll do that.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
John Thake and Susannah Redhouse, married 18th of November 1782, Wimbish, Essex
William Thake and Elizabeth Ling, married 22nd December 1754, Wimbish, Essex
Wimbish is indexed on FamilySearch and there are links to images.

You can see the 1754 marriage here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-X4MS-L46?i=372&cc=1465709&cat=60978

and 1782 here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-X4MS-P1B?i=394&cc=1465709&cat=60978

Baptism of a John Thake, 28 Oct 1759
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-X4MS-538?i=232&cc=1465709&cat=60978

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
I know that many will simply say of the parish but I've come across some great ones on FreeREG that gave parishes of one of the parties.

As Little Nell has already pointed out, this is will be the parish in which they were living at the time of the marriage, not necessarily their native parish, which is presumably what you want to know?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
I think you may need to be using familysearch to help you a bit more.  I just picked a random marriage out of your list  (Dear Picking) and his possible baptism transcript is on there as is his marriage transcript ???   ;D 

Maybe you need to go back through your list before you repost elsewhere.  ;)

ADDED A possible for Austin Bass is there too.   ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
It's useful when searchig through familysearch website to insert the village parish "batch numbers".

There used to be a really useful hugh wallis website that listed all the batch numbers and the years covered by each batch, for England, Scotland and Wales but unfortunately it's been taken down.

I've found the alternative website and if you click on the "home page" you'll see a list of counties on the left hand side of the page - e.g. Wiltshire, Cambridgeshire, etc.  Clicking on each county will give you a list of each village/town set of batch numbers for each parish church, eg. Bremhill, Wiltshire. 
Normally couples married in the parish where the bride lived.-

http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-wil.htm
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke