Author Topic: Fathers middle name on Birth Cert - help needed  (Read 2980 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fathers middle name on Birth Cert - help needed
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
I agree with the amendment explanation. Mistakes in registers are supposed to be corrected with a numeral in the entry, and the same number in words in the margin, with signature or initials. The sequence of numbers runs all the way through the register book.

In this case, the error seems to be the surname AGNESS, which has been underlined and corrected to HORWOOD. This is confirmed by checking for other entries on the same page - the easiest way is at FreeBMD.

Elizabeth's entry is indexed in Dec qtr 1844, Marylebone, ref. 1/169. FreeBMD shows 8 entries with that reference, one of whom is Sarah AGNESS. It therefore seems likely that the surname has been copied in error from one entry to the next, or possibly the Horwood and Agness informants visited the registrar together and he got their names mixed up.

Either way, you can be confident that Agness is not part of Edward's name.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant Arthur - the answer was under our collective nose all the time, we just weren't looking in the right direction :D

Jillieh it looks like you'll have to cancel your trip to East Anglia :'(

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
For confirmation, you could always look at the births of the other 3 children, re the 1851 census, Edward, Sophia or William.

Malky

Offline jillieh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
What a lot happened over night! (I'm in New Zealand)

Thank you all so much for your time and efforts and I think you have cracked it Arthurk!

And yes Jennifer, Edward is the son of Samuel Horwood & Betsy West & died in the Middlesex Asylum in 1875.

Thanks again  :)
Horwood - London
Farrants - Suffolk
Wild - London, Wales
Mitsons  Suffolk
Pullar - Scotland
Valentine - Scotland
Fairfoul - Scotland