Author Topic: what towns are in these Aberdeen DISTRICTS?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline winnie7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
what towns are in these Aberdeen DISTRICTS?
« on: Wednesday 13 June 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,
When I get results for "Aberdeen North District" on ScotlandsPeople
what towns are included in that area please? .
Also same question for "Aberdeen Eastern District"
I'm not familiar with these areas.
thanks

Stephen family
Aberdeenshire, Kincardine and Fife

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what towns are in these Aberdeen DISTRICTS?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
It seems to be surprisingly hard to find a (current or historic) map of civil registration districts in Scotland unlike in England & Wales where there's a map of the 1851 districts on FamilySearch, and a list of all the changes to districts and places within the districts on UK BMD.

There is an index to changes in the registration districts of Aberdeen here, which shows that both the Aberdeen Eastern and Aberdeen Northern districts were formed in 1931 (and existed until 1967 when they were presumably merged into the single Aberdeen registration district which existed from 1968 onwards).

Link: https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/statutory-registers/RD-guide-Aberdeen.pdf

Unfortunately you can't tell from that index which pre-1931 districts went on to form the Aberdeen Eastern and Northern districts (though the RD numbers might provide a clue). The options seem to be:
  • St Nicholas
  • St Machar
  • Woodside
  • Old Aberdeen
All of which were registration districts which existed until 1930. Some of those places can be found in the following maps:
This website says that the registration districts were created in 1855 and were 'based on the civil parishes', which are visible in the two maps above.

I would hazard that these districts covered only sections of the city of Aberdeen itself, rather than any geographically separate 'towns'. But that's my interpretation, I could be wrong.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
They're both areas covering Aberdeen City, but there might be what could be classed as historic towns now included in them - Peterculter, Cults, Woodside, Bucksburn, Newhills, etc which were all outside the city before various boundary changes in 1891, 1930s, 1960s, and then the big one under regionalisation in 1974. 

What time period are you looking at and what towns were you expecting to see?  The best way to familiarise yourself with the area is to follow the useful links provided by Paul S. and play around on the National Library of Scotland maps site.

Offline winnie7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Paul S for all that information, I'll peruse those maps.
Thanks also Archivos.
Stephen family
Aberdeenshire, Kincardine and Fife