Author Topic: Harrytown Hall Bredbury Stockport  (Read 1000 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harrytown Hall Bredbury Stockport
« on: Wednesday 13 June 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know whether there are any historical records held anywhere for Harrytown Hall?

I have Mary Smith, born Dalton, Scotland employed there in the 1871 census. From there I cannot trace her.

Have had a very helpful member from the Stockport Heritage Library advise me that they do not hold any records. Also the FHSC could not assist.

Regards, June

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harrytown Hall Bredbury Stockport
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there can't help with historical records for Harrytown Hall have you tried Google ?
Do you have parents names for Mary Smith and any other information that might help in tracing her ?

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Would this be her birth Mary Smith 11 January 1850 Dalton Dumfries baptism 1 Feb 1850
Father William Smith
Mother Margaret Calvert

This Mary with her grandparents on the 1851/1861 Census Dumfries

Would I be correct ...Parents and her family in New Zealand after the 1861 Census

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rosie.  Yes that is the correct Mary Smith.

I can find her siblings Francis, Margaret, and Annie traveling as assisted immigrants on the vessel 'Timaru' from Clyde to NZ leaving end of July 1879 but have yet to track her Mother Margaret and youngest child Elizabeth Hammond Smith on the passenger lists. They are buried in Invercargill NZ.  This leaves James and Mary to be traced. I understand that their father William was already deceased before they left for NZ. Searching for a deceased William Smith is challenging.

Mother Margaret's death notice in 1903 said that she was relict of William Smith, late of Harrytown Hall. I was wondering if perhaps Margaret gained employment there after William passed away.

I think the family may have been in the Prestwich Lancashire census in 1861. Williams occpn Private Coachman.

Margaret Calvert had two brothers on Southland NZ. She is said to have been in NZ prior to my Grandfathers birth in 1880.

I appreciate your response. :)

June