Author Topic: Looking for ID of Cross Please  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ID of Cross Please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
I don't know Carol. I can only assume that the sizes got smaller as time went on. My mother trained something like 1936 to 1939. I have the exact dates somewhere.

I don't think they were issued post-war ie NHS. Pre NHS hospitals and doctors were private. One little anecdote. The trainee nurses lived in nurses homes. The food was not considered good and the nurses at Windsor went to see the matron. Matron was scandalised at the nurses complaining and said the food was good. One nurse, by name Vinnecombe, a fully paid up member of Mosley's black shirts said 'Matron, good fish doesn't stink!'

Another thing, these pre-war nurses had a loyalty to one another life long. They always referred to each other by their surnames. They wrote to each other and when my mother died I found hundreds of letters the last of which were from husbands saying that their wives had died.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ID of Cross Please
« Reply #37 on: Friday 15 June 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing that with us Regorian and it was very interesting to read, but, it's worth noting that the photo was taken in the early-mid 1890s  :)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU