Author Topic: Returning my DNA kit mouth swab, customs, postage etc  (Read 321 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Returning my DNA kit mouth swab, customs, postage etc
« on: Wednesday 13 June 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
It finally arrived today, and as it said I must not have eaten or had anything to drink for half an hour before doing the test, I had to do it immediately before breakfast. I then started wondering about the cost of return postage from England to MyHeritage in Texas, and whether I would have to do a Customs declaration and what the cost would be. I spent ages reading out of date information on the internet and ended up none the wiser. I thought it would be useful if I reported my experiences.

I took it into the local post office, I said I'd like to send it to the United States, he asked me to put it on the scales, told me it would be 3.30 for a tiny little padded bag and didn't ask me about the contents or even read the words on the back of the envelope which said  "Contains cheek swab from a healthy human not Known or suspected to have infectious substances."

The one sensible piece of advice I found on the internet, was that it is not a DNA sample you are returning it is a swab. It only becomes a DNA sample after it has been processed by the receiving laboratory.

It is now on its way and I can expect an email in 28 days telling me to log on to my account.

15:22 update.  I will add that this was all a lot easier to post than I expected, and I really was ready to say that I could have sealed the return envelope with my own spit, just as if I was sending a birthday card in a lick-to-seal envelope!

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.