Author Topic: John Clarke and co went to Canada  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: John Clarke and co went to Canada
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
OOOOH   thank you for that...

naughty man  --- desertion - discharge - medals forfieted... oh dear.. thats just the 1st page....

xin

Well that began and ended the same... very naughty.... possibly trying to prove something!! why oh why...

xin

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, not a great record....but I'm doing some more digging and may have turned up another record. Just getting into it so will get back about it.

The 1916 census record for George is also very confusing, as was mentioned earlier.

PB

Added: if he was discharged, I believe he would have been transported back home.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Fascinating military file, looks like he was discharged after 2 months. Interesting how Manitoba was incorrectly listed as Minnesota, USA at one point. So was he ever overseas?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, he sailed for England 03 Oct 1914.

But I THINK the plot thickens.....I'm still working on that part and will get back about it.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
PLease   stop before you get to the Gallows    :) :) :) ha ha ha x

sorry xin

I did find a death in uk. for a Willie Clarke that seemed right but discarded due to him 'living in Canada'   .. so uhm  will re- look at that ---
whoops wrong brother.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
OK, here we go. Different and better result....

It is possible that the George in the other file is the same man as this one and this file may indicate a re-enlistment. One address for NOK given is in Winnipeg (family here in 1911 census if I remember correctly, although address was different) which is later changed to Rosser (family here in 1916 census). NOK within the document Mrs Ellen Clarke.

This attestation paper in this file appears to be a copy so no real signature but I think the attestation paper on ancestry is an original so if you have access to that you could compare signatures between the 2.

Here it is....

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1737-S046

PB

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
OK, here we go. Different and better result....

PB

Amazing file - tons of reading to do!

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Wow   speak in a week

xin

Well a quick run through...in 15 mins  more to digest.

He seems a troubled lad.. boils and worries .. oh dear.

funny thing is towards the end.. one of the Signatures was Haywood??   (his mothers maiden name !!!!)  strange.

ok..

well  he signed up to young I think.. hadnt a clue what he was doing and there you go.. it all 'boiled' up around him... sorry, it seems he was plaqued with boils.

thanks again all brilliant help.

xin

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Adding to the second military file comments.....

Here is a link to the original attestation paper for the second file I posted with signatures that can be compared to the ones in the first military file. The first file may or may not be a red herring....I'll leave it for you to decide.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=103617

PB