Author Topic: 1841 census  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 census
« on: Thursday 14 June 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
Morning,  Please could someone have a look at an 1841 census for me - have a transcription form fs but would like to check if I'm missing any crucial information.

Joseph Ridley 1802 bap Kirkwhelpington.  Census reg HO0107 folio: 831/2

This is an extention of a previous post:http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792004.0

Trying to link him to another tree on geni.com, they have his dob as 1806 but I'm assuming they have used the rounded down age on the 1841 census to calculate this.

I am also assuming the Mary on the census is his wife - a marriage for them would be great

Thanks in advance
Catherine

Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
where is he in 1841,save me searching again please
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
1841 – Joseph is an Ag Lab, abode Fairnley, in the township of Little Tosson

Joseph Ridley            35
Mary Ridley Senr    35
Mary Ridley Junr    13
William Ridley    11
Isabella Ridley    8
Mark Ridley    6
Ann Ridley    4

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a marriage for Joseph to a Mary in the right period but the following might be the one from the other tree you mentioned?

A Joseph Ridley born 1807, Father William Ridley married Mary Fletcher
9 Sep1849 Saint Nicholas, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,  sorry 1841 he is in Rothbury district- "Fairnley" assume it's a farm.

Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Hatley (London)

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin, thanks for the census - am I correct in assuming Mary is his wife?

I don't think the  NUT marriage fits in here - I think the Joseph's are the same person, his bap is 1802 but if you look at the 1841 census they age him between 35 - 39 with age 35. BUT the 1841 census rounded the age down, so I think this is the same person.

Thanks
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Hatley (London)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
You have a difficult one here. I can not find a marriage for Joseph and Mary and I looked on familysearch, freereg and findmypast. I think both Joseph and Mary are dead by 1851 hence why the younger children are out to work.

I could not find a baptism for Mark and Ann may have been born just before the 1837 civil registration started so no luck there.

William born circa 1830 appears to be on later censuses. If that is the correct William you then have a birth place for him and can look for a baptism.

The problem you may have is that area of Northumberland has a lot of dissenters so the records you need to look at may be dissenter records which are not well covered online

Looking at the births of Ridleys in Rothbury upto early 1840's on the GRO the mother's maiden name Jeffrey appears a few times. Unfortunately it does not give a forename to the child born but Mary may be Mary Jeffrey at least a name to look out for
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
No mention of the Ridleys in the 1816 Rothbury census
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
the GRO,
has a death recorded Rothbury,Mary Ridley,aged 39,in 1843
possibly yours