Author Topic: Jacob and Mary EYRE of Bradwell  (Read 1035 times)

Offline sendraguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jacob and Mary EYRE of Bradwell
« on: Thursday 14 June 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
I've posted in the Common Room but here may be more appropriate. Both my Sellers and Eyres ancestors moved from the Hope area into Manchester in the early 1800s.
I'm fascinated by the idea that the Eyres might have had some Jewish ancestry. This first occurred to me when I discovered that Jacob Eyre's (1780 - 1838) mother was Hannah Fox (1755 - 1812)
So many of the Eyres use the names Isaac, Jacob, Benjamin, Rachel, Rebecca, and Hannah that it set me wondering. Were these names just common to all at the time? Or an Old Testament fashion?
Further back I have traced a Judith Mabel Franks (x7 g/gmother)
But my main interest is the network of Eyres who lived in Hope, Woodland, Castleton and Tideswell. They were baptised, married and buried through the established church, but then I imagine they would have no alternative. Many remained in the dale but my particular branch of the family removed to Dukinfield.
Would appreciate any views.
Milburn, McKee, Sellers, Wilkinson, Hamilton, McGowan, Turnbull, Eyres, Hanson, Catlow, Hallam.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob and Mary EYRE of Bradwell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
I would think the names are just common and from the Bible.
The 1st Eyre Marriage in Hope I can find is 1636.

Did your Jacob marry twice?
1801 to Mary Willson (Bachelor) and 1803 to Mary Hallom (he is a Widower).
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
I saw a Tree for Jacob on Anc but they dont have when Mary died.

You may already have this though.

POWNALL, SAMUEL  THOMAS, Mothers mn EYRE***
GRO Reference: 1853  S Quarter in ASHTONUNDERLYNE  Volume 08D  Page 436

1871 Census
Rachael Pownall, 44
Samuel Pownall, 17
John Pownall, 14
Annie Pownall, 12
Clarence Pownall, 9
Lilian Pownall, 7
Ernest Pownall, 4
Mary EYRE, 92, Mother, born Bradwell, Derbyshire

Mary died later that year age 92, age good age!

She is with her Daug 1861 and 1851;
John Pownall, 25
Rachel Pownall, 24
Mary Eyre, 68

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sendraguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I've researched the Eyres in Manchester. John Pownall ( Rachel's husband) is shown in 1861 as ''photographic artist'' which makes a change from all the cotton spinners! And yes, his mother-in-law made it to 92.
I think I might have jumped the gun with thinking there was something significant about the family first names. Presumably those Old Testament 'Jewish' sounding names were widely used throughout the community.
Milburn, McKee, Sellers, Wilkinson, Hamilton, McGowan, Turnbull, Eyres, Hanson, Catlow, Hallam.