Author Topic: Help Avuncular Result  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Avuncular Result
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 June 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Yes FTDNA will ship their FamilyFinder test to the UK.

I live in the East Midlands & did my FamilyFinder test in 2014 - paid for tracking on the return postage to Texas to make sure the sample got to the lab ok!

Here's the link:
https://www.familytreedna.com/products/family-finder

(there is a father's day sale on at the moment)

Also included in the test is an ethnicity component but this is more for fun & only really accurate at the continental level.

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
A couple more points for more information:

I should add that Autosomal tests are classed as "Genealogical Tests" and are therefore not
legally binding and would not be seen as "proof" of a relationship even though the results may be strongly suggestive. I would guess the Avuncular test already taken probably is legally binding but you'd have to check that.

I realised that you didn't mention whether your possible niece is an adult or child?

There is an optional release form for signing:

https://www.familytreedna.com/forms/FTDNA-release-form.pdf

(You could also have the possible niece's DNA sample destroyed after the results have arrived & you then know whether you match each other or not).

Another link:
http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=42699

I have a couple of children in the USA listed as "remote cousins" on my match list so clearly
some parents have had their children tested, but with all the new GDPR data regulations  I don't know what the current situation would be for testing under 18 year olds.

I know some genealogists look after their elderly relatives DNA accounts and put their own email address as a contact address - the kit is then is called e.g. "J S c/o Ann Jones".

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
I know people have many reasons for not having a DNA test, but your brother's reluctance does seem to speak for itself.

Martin

Offline jane0o0

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 June 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
My brother has known for years he could be the girls father but failed to do anything about it. She had been looking for him for a long time and she is now 26. She contacted my son on Facebook and its gone from there. My brother has again refused a dna and wants nothing to do with her and this is why I took the Avuncular test with her and her mother. I want to know whether shes my niece so we can have a good relationship so I'm hoping this 65% is proof shes related.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 June 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Jane, they say blood is thicker than water, but don't let facts get in the way of love and friendship.

Martin

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 June 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Jane, they say blood is thicker than water, but don't let facts get in the way of love and friendship.

Martin

I've just read the thread and you took those words out of my mouth Martin.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 June 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Frank, I categorically deny any involvement with extra-oral theft...!

Martin

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 June 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Frank, I categorically deny any involvement with extra-oral theft...!

Martin

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands