Author Topic: Marriage of Luke Lapham and Hannah Forward  (Read 1633 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of Luke Lapham and Hannah Forward
« on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The couple married at Kilmington in 1803 - I believe the parish was then in Somerset. I believe Hannah to have been born in Mere but I would like to have a 'paper trail' to eliminate all doubts in my mind. Does the marriage record itself contain any reference to Hannah's parish. I expect she was probably of the parish but who knows.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Luke Lapham and Hannah Forward
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
They were both of the Parish (Kilmington)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
I believe the parish was then in Somerset. I believe Hannah to have been born in Mere but I would like to have a 'paper trail' to eliminate all doubts in my mind.

The marriage record will not contain details of where she was born, simply where she was resident at the time of the marriage, as Little Nell pointed out here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795088.msg6517325#msg6517325
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you rosie99.

JenB, yes but I have often found people marrying outside of their parish where they have been born. I have found this with Samuel Streater in East Worldham in 1769, Thomas Scare in Trumpington in 1755, John Butcher in Great Yeldham in 1737, Francis Northwood in Cardington in 1762 and George Pochin in 1816 among many, many others.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
I think that is exactly what JenB is saying  ;D

Why do you think Hannah was born in Mere

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
It is nearby and there's an online genealogy for her. Obviously it's an uncommon name so there's a chance. I was just looking for a concrete link that would prove that Hannah from Mere married in Kilmington.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
JenB, yes but I have often found people marrying outside of their parish where they have been born. I have found this with Samuel Streater in East Worldham in 1769, Thomas Scare in Trumpington in 1755, John Butcher in Great Yeldham in 1737, Francis Northwood in Cardington in 1762 and George Pochin in 1816 among many, many others.

Sorry  :-\ I don't understand what you are saying. I can give reams of examples of my ancestors who married outside their native parish.

My point was that the parish name given in the marriage record isn't necessarily the parish of birth, simply the one where they were living at the time of the marriage.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
When did she die.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
I can't see any death record for her.