Author Topic: Wigston lookups  (Read 627 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wigston lookups
« on: Thursday 14 June 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a number of Wigston (Magna) dates, but I note that there are three Anglican churches in the parish. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me which church/es the following were at:

Marriage of George Pochin and Jane Bailey, 28th of April 1786
Marriage of John Dobson and Caroline Pochin, 5th of April 1857
Christening of George Pochin, 27th of May 1791
Christening of Caroline Pochin, 5th of February 1843

Thanks!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wigston lookups
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
All the entries/images specify the Parish of Great Wigston(Wigston Magna). However the marriage of Caroline Pochin definitely says the Parish Church in the Parish of Great Wigston and that is All Saints. I would guess the other ceremonies took place at All Saints as well.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
One memorial to a Pochin in Wigston is at the Independent Chapel, now United Reform Church - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/151625074/william-pochin

From the Leicester Chronicle, 9th July 1881:

A beautiful monument has been built in front of the Independent Chapel to the memory of Mr. William Pochin, the great and efficient Sunday School teacher."

The inscriptions read:
West side "Sacred to the memory of William Pochin, born Sept. 8th, 1794; died May 2nd, 1850."

South End "The memory of the just is blessed."

East side "For more than thirty years he took an intelligent and active part in all matters affecting this chapel and village; thirty years after his death this monument was erected by his eight sons and daughters to mark the affection and respect they will ever entertain for their father's memory."

North End "Good deeds live forever."

The other day, we picked up a leaflet regarding the gardens at Barkby Hall. We used to live nearby but they weren't open then - https://www.wherecanwego.com/item/e799420/barkby-hall-open-garden-for

http://www.systontownnews.co.uk/event/barkby-hall-garden-open/

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that! I've never been able to tie my Pochins to those of Barkby Hall sadly.