Author Topic: Heslop Family of Northumberland  (Read 1186 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heslop Family of Northumberland
« on: Thursday 14 June 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace this family and to find out any further information about them.  This is what I know so far...

John Heslop  born c1704 Highstead Bellingham, Northumberland   died c1742
married Barbary Mason in 28 Nov 1724 Simonburn, Northumberland.

They had 4 children that I know of - all born in Simonburn

William 1725-
Jane 1727-
James 1732-
Thomas 1742-1831 - who I am descended from.  He married Elizabeth Pickering in 1772 in Simonburn.  And they had 4 daughters - Jane, Dorothy, Barbara and Mary and 1 son, William.

William was born c1777  and died 1847 in Durham.
He married a Mary Moor in 1807 at Simonburn and they had a daughter Elizabeth who was born 18 Jul 1808 in Latterford, Parish of Wark, Northumberland, England.  She died in c1882 Gateshead, Durham

I would like to know more about this family, particularly Elizabeth as it seems that she had at least 3 children but never married as the children are all under her name.

Dorothy Heslop b1830 d1900
George Moore Heslop b1834
John Heslop b1837.

I would also like to know about John Heslop c1704.  When was he born and died and who were his parents.

Many thanks for any information

Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heslop Family of Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
On freereg:

Jn HESLIP baptised 14 Oct 1705 - St Cuthbert, Bellingham, Northumberland
Father Thomas abode Highstead.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Free Reg
Dorothy Heslop
Illegitimate
mother Elizabeth Heslop
baptised 2nd Jan 1831
Chester Le Street
St Mary St Cuthbert
Possible marriage,Dorothy Heslop,a minor
Chester Le Street,1850
Abode Pelton Flatts
husband James Bambrough
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Heslop
burial Gateshead 1882
born 1808
last abode 36 Church Street
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
thanks so much.

Definitely looks like all of Elizabeth's children were illegitimate.

Though it is interesting that her son George Moore Heslop seems to have taken the last name Green and named his father as Henry Green on some immigration and marriage records I found for him - at least I think it his him.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
So some of the mystery about the name Green seems to have been solved.

On the 1841 census Elizabeth Heslop is living with a Henry Green and her children (all under the last name of Heslop).

She is still living with him on the next 1851 census this time stating that she is his housekeeper and all of the children that were Heslop on the 1841 census are now under the last name of Green.

They are still together on the 1861 census - this time she is stated as being a servant but the children are still under the name of Green.

Haven't found her yet on the 1871 census or the 1881 census but do know that she died in 1882 and is buried under the name of Heslop.

So Elizabeth had several children who seem to have been illegitimate and were originally at least going under the same last name as their mother.  But then from 1851 the children seem to have taken the last name of Green (at least some of the time - they seem to have flit between the names of Heslop and Green with no real consistency)

Was Henry Green their biological father?  Maybe but we will probably never know.

I have managed to trace the Heslop line a little further back.

Elizabeth's parents were William Helsop and Mary Moor.  And Williams parents seem to be Thomas Heslop and Elizabeth Pickering.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/deaths_AUNG

I wonder if Dorothy Bambro on the death notices on here is the one in your tree?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner