Author Topic: Ann Swallow 1853?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Swallow 1853?
« on: Friday 15 June 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to trace a Ann Swallow born c1853 Felton, Durham (according to the census)

I have found her on the census for when she is married - to a William Bambrough but have not been able to find any trace of her before her marriage.

Any suggestions?

I would like to be able to find her so that I can then find her parents etc.

Many thanks
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Swallow 1853?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
Felton is Northumberland.

Is she the Ann SWALLOW 1853 Felton, Northumberland, living in the THOMPSON household in 1871?

What about her marriage (father's name)?

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
thanks so much I had never been able to find her but I think that might be her as the place fits and 1851 isn't that far off for birth date

Because of your help I think I may have also found her on the 1851 census - looks like she was living with her grandfather Charles Emery along with her sister Mary Jane.   She is listed as Mary Ann on this census but the place of birth fits so I think it is her.

I haven't got her marriage cert yet as I don't live in the UK and it's expensive to get from where I live.

Thanks so much for your help.  Looks like I might have something more to go on.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
www.gro.gov.uk ...has birth for a Mary Ann Swallow 1850 Tynemouth Northumberland
Mothers maiden name Emery ...Going by the 1851 the mother is a widow ( formerly sailors wife.

A marriage for a Ann Emery 1847 All Saints Newcastle Upon Tyne Northumberland father
Charles Emery
Spouse Lawson Armstrong Swallow

Death for a Lawson Armstrong Swallow 1850 Tynemouth Northumberland

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Baptism for a Mary Jane Swallow 25 June 1848 Felton Northumberland
Father Lawson Armstrong Swallow
Mother Ann

Don't see baptism for Mary Ann Swallow very strange both being called Mary  ???

Rosie

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
I saw the Mary Ann census- it came up as a hint on Ancestry but I wanted to confirm other details like her father's name before saying "she's Mary Ann here!". It's a shame the GRO doesn't do pdf marriages, it would be perfect for cases like this.

I guess that's why she ended up being called Ann, Rosie  ;D

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 June 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Going by the information on census record I looked for a marriage for Ann Emery to surname Swallow ..
The Death for Lawson Armstrong Swallow fitted in nicely 1850

The birth of a son Lawson Armstrong S Bambrough 1879 I would say confirms her parents  :)

Rosie

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 June 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone.

As soon as I saw the name Lawson Armstrong I knew he must be her father as she had a son by this name.

I am now going to try and see if I can trace him.  Weirdly there are a handful of Lawson Armstrong's which kind of surprised me for such an unusual name - maybe it's not as unusual as I thought :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Yes Lawson Armstrong Swallow seems to be a popular name  ;)  a few trees on Ancestry has his parents as John Swallow and Eleanor Forrest which you would need to check

I did find a census record 1861 civil parish Seaton Delavel ..Seghill Northumberland
John Swallow age 76 b Whitrington Northumberland occupation cartman
Eleanor Swallow age 67 b Amble Northumberland
Mary Swallow age 12 b Felton Northumberland so could this be Mary Jane ?

1861 Census the mother Anne is still with her father Charles Emery only one child there and she is down as Mary Anne Armstrong age 8 born Felton ..

Can not find Lawson Armstrong Swallow in the 1841 census but maybe he was a sea his death gives his age as 27

Rosie