Author Topic: FTDNA- In Common With Feature  (Read 1219 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FTDNA- In Common With Feature
« on: Friday 15 June 18 04:18 BST (UK) »
FTDNA have a great feature which allows you to isolate some matches and identify possible lines to search. For example I can a name and check in common and guesstimate the match is on my fathers line based on the other names.

I was able to get my mother to have her DNA tested and yes she is my mother :D . Yet checking the 'in common with' feature I only match on 1/3 of her list.

Shouldnt I match all?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FTDNA- In Common With Feature
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
I would say the answer would be no. She would not have passed down all of her DNA to you.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
I agree with Gail.

Your mother passed only 50% of her DNA to you. The other 50% you will find no connection to.

Recent generations you will probably match up with, more distant ones the DNA won't be there.

My paternal first cousin and I share quite a few matches, but she has several that I don't match with because our respective fathers inherited different DNA.

This has helped me with an elusive ancestor where she has a match and I don't.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
As the admin for her account I am in her account using the feature. If I click on my name and press in common with I would expect all of them to match.

If I am in my account then yes I expect a difference as it takes into account both parents. In this instance I am going downwards
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
In that case the answer is still no. As you inherited some DNA from your father which your mother would not match with.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Look at it another way.

When you are looking at your matches and you use the 'in common with feature,' you have a certain number of matches with her.

When you are looking at your mother's matches, there will be a certain number you don't match with, as your mother didn't pass that bit of DNA on to you.

Modified: When looking at your matches you share e.g. 33 matches in common with your mother. When looking at your mother's matches, you share the same 33 with her, but she has another 67 that you don't match with, because she didn't pass any or sufficient DNA for them to count as a match with you.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go