Author Topic: KOREAN MEDAL  (Read 1946 times)

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
KOREAN MEDAL
« on: Friday 15 June 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We are trying to find information on a medal which has been dug up in a garden in County Durham so that it can hopefully be passed on to the family of the man in belonged to.   

After cleaning the medal as best we can it seems it may be a medal from the Korean War and the information appears to be:

Sergeant Cameron with possible initial J
the number round the medal is 1151768

If anyone has any information on how we can trace Mr Cameron, we would be very grateful

Thank you
Lyn

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KOREAN MEDAL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
Considering the location of the find, I would suggest first point of contact to be Durham Light Infantry Association / Museum and if no luck there the following:

Veterans UK
Ministry of Defence
Norcross
Thornton Cleveleys
FY5 3WP
Email: veterans-uk@mod.uk
They may not be able to assist but should point you in the best direction. I have scrutinised RN, RM and RAF casualties and Sgt Cameron is not listed as a casualty.

Alternatively, you could contact the Museum/Association of those Regiments which served in Korea;  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bkvaroh/ROH/RgtIndex.htm

For comparison purposes, depiction of UK/UN Korean War medals here:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/~simjones/pjkorea/medals.htm

On the rim of UK Korean War medals, the recipients Unit was usually engraved after their surname; eg. RN (Royal Navy), RNF (Royal Northumberland Fusiliers), etc.
See   http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_queens_korea_medal.htm
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Considering the location of the find, I would suggest first point of contact to be Durham Light Infantry Association / Museum and if no luck there the following:

Veterans UK
Ministry of Defence
Norcross
Thornton Cleveleys
FY5 3WP
Email: veterans-uk@mod.uk
They may not be able to assist but should point you in the best direction. I have scrutinised RN, RM and RAF casualties and Sgt Cameron is not listed as a casualty.

Alternatively, you could contact the Museum/Association of those Regiments which served in Korea;  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bkvaroh/ROH/RgtIndex.htm

For comparison purposes, depiction of UK/UN Korean War medals here:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/~simjones/pjkorea/medals.htm

On the rim of UK Korean War medals, the recipients Unit was usually engraved after their surname; eg. RN (Royal Navy), RNF (Royal Northumberland Fusiliers), etc.
See   http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_queens_korea_medal.htm

"At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them"
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
While I cannot access the detail, Forces War Records have a 1950 record for Sgt JS Cameron of the Glider Pilot Regiment with that service number.  As numbers were unique by then he is a highly likely candidate.

(Although gliders were not used in Korea, men of the Glider Pilot Regiment did serve there).

Forces War Records will not have his detailed service record with next of kin details, they are with the Ministry of Defence still. Note that MOD will not release a man's next of kin details to someone who is not themselves next of kin or who does not have the permission of the next of kin.
A useful contact may be the Glider Pilot Regiment Society, the regiment was a small one which often makes finding people easier.
https://www.gliderpilotregiment.org.uk/ .
There is also the Museum of Army Flying who have a Glider Pilot memorial book although he doesn't appear in it (just means nobody has submitted his name).

An approach to a local newspaper may be the best bet. 1950 is not that long ago and there may be recall of a local man who served in that regiment.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Good researching MaxD
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks for all your help, it's very much appreciated.  It looks like the medal belongs to Sgt J S Cameron so I will contact the MoD and the Glider Pilot Regiment.  I realise I can't access his details but perhaps they might be able to contact any relatives of his who can then provide details for us to send the medal on.

Once again, thank you so much

Kind regards
Lyn

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 June 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
Lyn, this is a wonderful thing you are doing. It's lovely to see someone willing to take so much time and effort over something like this. It's a pet hate of mine to see military medals turn up in auctions, although I do understand that for some people they are not important or have little to no meaning or relevance. For all you know, Sgt Cameron has been looking for this medal for decades and you are going to do your best to reunite him or his family with the medal.

Good for you.

RRTB

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 June 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi RRTB,

Thank you for your kind words.  The medal was dug up in a Vicarage garden of all places, though how it got there is anybody's guess and I will do my best to reunite it with it's owner or his family if at all possible, bearing in mind the lack of access to records that late.  Hopefully the MoD will be able to help fingers crossed. 
Lyn

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
John Richard Cameron enlisted into the Royal Artillery (Field, Coastal & Anti-Aircraft ) in 1942. He remained with them throughout WW2.
He transferred to the A.A.C on 2nd August 1945. Who he was with in Korea I do not know.

Jim