Author Topic: downloading music onto an mp3 stick help please  (Read 719 times)

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
downloading music onto an mp3 stick help please
« on: Friday 15 June 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
our car cd has stopped working, however I have a usb port on it and need some help with downloading music, years ago I used to use a couple of sites, but these have long gone, and at home I mainly use spotify for listening to stuff, however I cant use that in the car, so where can I get hold of music in general from free and then put onto the stick please

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: downloading music onto an mp3 stick help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Do you have a computer or laptop at home which can play CDs, if so you can legally copy the songs from the cd to your computer and drop them on an usb stick as mp3s to play in the car.

It is possible to pirate songs from YouTube and save them to usb but it would be wrong for me to tell you how to do that, sorry.
I have never used Spotify and don’t know if you can save files from that provider.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
yeah I use a laptop at home, yeah I know I can copy the cds we already have, but well its nice to listen to something different, also I don't like one half of his cds!

spotify is ok at home, and you can put stuff onto that i.e. a playlist and don't need to be online then to listen, but well getting the laptop out when your in the car is a bit cumbersome

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
I think you can download music off of Spotify onto a USB/mp3 stick.  I've never done it but you can google for instructions.

Good luck.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
If you do a Google search for your desired music, you might find it. 

For example, "Best of Broken Cup and the Clumsy Oafs Mp3 Free Download". You will still get Amazon and other sites trying to sell you a CD of that title, but there might be a Russian site offering it for free - in the format you want. The Russian site do not last long - a month to 6 weeks and then they are gone. But another one soon appears.

They keep disappearing because what they are doing is illegal. It is a moral issue. People see it as victimless, but of course every download is depriving the copyright holder of an income.

There are also "YouTube Converters", which function on-line.  Find the YouTube you want, copy the URL, past it into the converter, wait the length of time of the recording, up pops a Download Button, click on it and download, straight to your stick.

Young people do this all the time. 10 get together and all put in a £1. One buys a download album and then shares it to the other 9. Nobody feels guilty, because they have paid, but of course, the author is out by £90.

I am not saying that people shouldn't download music for free, but I am saying that people should be aware that there could be consequences.

Regards

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia