Author Topic: Robert dodd attempted murderer. his death date.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert dodd attempted murderer. his death date.
« on: Friday 15 June 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I asked for help in finding Robert dodd. B. Ulveston Lancashire. 1848. Married Sarah varey 1867. Lived in ulveston. And Blackburn. I've had tremendous help and found that he was a very mean man. Imprisonment was a way of life. Tried to murder his wife Sarah in 1878 Blackburn. Got 5 years I have Sarah dodd in 1871 census and 1881 with daughter Mary Mitchell. 1891  and 1901 all have her as married. In 1911 census. She is with daughter Mary Mitchell in barrow in furness. Down as widowed. I believe that Robert dodd died sometime between 1901and 1911. all I can find in deaths on Robert dodd is. Lancaster 1902. Age 57. Blackburn 1901age 62. which I believe may be him. And a death 1906. Age ? In what looks like haverthwaite st. anne? No age?  I could be asking too much and  I fully understand if I get no further help in this.  But i dont know how to prove which if any are sadly. my. Robert dodd.b.1848. Father Richard. Mother ann. Many thanks for your time in  looking. Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert dodd attempted murderer. his death date.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
Any obits in newspapers to help ID any of them? Did any leave wills? (Having read your other thread about Robert Dodd, I doubt he would have left a will.)
Have you looked for a burial on Lancashire OPC or elsewhere?
Do you have details of any of children's marriages to indicate whether father was deceased?

I watched TV programme "24 Hours in Police Custody" last night.  Robert Dodd reminds me of the culprit in the programme. Unsettling, depressing viewing. At least wives & partners have better help from law enforcement than in the time of the Dodd family.

Edit. I don't see a Robert Dodd burial on LAN OPC 1901-1911.

Cowban

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
Where and when did you last have Robert
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a Robert Dodd in Ulverston Workhouse on the 1901 census, age given as 60 which is a little older than you want, but perhaps it was guesswork on the part of the workhouse:
Robert Dodd, inmate, married, age 60, Hawker, born Ulverston Lancashire.

This may be the same Robert Dodd whose death was registered in 1902 in Ulverston, age 62 (Free BMDs)
Oct-Dec 1902, Robert Dodd, age 62, Ulverston vol 83 page 537

Hope that helps
 :) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Where and when did you last have Robert

I have received this reply by PM, I am posting it here so we can all see it  :)
I have nothing.but census statement. Saying that Sarah dodd is married. It's in 1901 census. But in 1911 census. It says widow. Mary dodd. B. Was his last child. In fact she was in the womb of her mother Sarah when she was attacked. I have  her marriage cert  to Peter Mitchell. 1899. Robert dodd is down as father . But that's it.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Rob has also thanked me by pm, and he agrees with my suggestion for 1901 (that is, the Robert Dodd in Ulverston workhouse is probably Sarah's husband, with the age slightly out on the paperwork).

If it was me I would take a chance on the 1902 Ulverston death certificate, although if he died in the workhouse it might not tell you very much.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
well as he and his son in law are down as earthen ware dealers it's feasable he is the one in the Ulverston  workhouse
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
It looks like material relating to Ulverston Workhouse is now held at Barrow Archives.

It may just be worth contacting them to see if they hold actual admission papers. tel no and email address here;

https://www.familytreeresources.co.uk/barrow-archive-and-local-studies-centre.html

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
It's a few years since I looked at the Ulverston work house records,but I can assure you they were in the archives in Barrow
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,