Author Topic: Annie Josephine McNab Arrivals 1919-1924  (Read 1756 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Annie Josephine McNab Arrivals 1919-1924
« on: Friday 15 June 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Fairly vague about general Canadian records, and have an indication that a family member could have travelled to Canada from Scotland around 1919-1924. "Annie Josephine (Nan) McNab  Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924. ".  Can anyone tell me where I might gain access to these records?  Have had a general look but am confused.  Thank you in advance for any direction, information.  Cheers - Maggie
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Josephine McNab Arrivals 1919-1924
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am pretty sure the collection is availably on Ancestry... but if you don't have a sub (or your library doesn't have a sub), then you can find these immigration records for free on the Library and archives Canada site.  The Ocean Arrivals forms on the LAC site are listed in a kind of alphabetical order... first by surname blocks, and within that, but first names.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/mass-digitized-archives/ocean-arrivals/Pages/ocean-arrivals.aspx

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't have an Ancestry sub at the moment, so I am paging through the records on LAC.  There is only one Annie in the surname block that includes McNab.  Is this one yours?  Go to image 3645.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/mass-digitized-archives/ocean-arrivals/Pages/item.aspx?EntryName=McLeod%2c+E.+Audrey+-+McNeilly%2c+Isobella&PageId=3880912

I think this is the link to the exact image
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=img&app=microform&id=30927_2000915038-03644

I will look for Nan too

RK

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't see a Josephine... the Josephs for this surname block start at image 3890.   There is one Josephine, but not McNab

I don't see a Nan... the "N" first names start at image 4030

If the Annie isn't yours, you may have to look on Ancestry (perhaps through your library) to see if you can find it there.

RK

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
When was she born
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
There is a birth on Scotlands People for a Annie Josephine McNab 1908 Bridgeton

Death for a Annie Josephine McNab 1989 Baillieston Scotlands People mothers maiden name Wilson

The Annie McNab on the Canada Ocean Arrivals forms 1921 gives a place of birth Blantyre 1900
Contact address 4,Rosedale Place Blantyre
Scotlands People has a birth for a Annie McNab 1900 Blantyre which I would say this is her

Rosie

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 June 18 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kitty and Rosie,

Thank you both very much for your interest and searches. It looks as if in fact, the Annie who arrives in Canada is not my Annie (Nan).  Yes, Rosie you have actually found my Annie - born in 1908 in Bridgeton Glasgow. Thanks Kitty for your time spent in searching too.  I had a look at the Canadian arrival records for Annie which you found, it was a bit difficult to read, but looks like she went as a domestic servant - and would have been a bit older than my Annie, who ended up being a teacher, yours was Presbyterian, mine was Catholic.  I did look at the "description of passenger" - second page on the record, and interestingly, even though on the first page she is named as "Annie McNab" … on the second page, when a signature is asked for, the surname is McNally - and the parents are named as "McNally" - so looks like it is a mix up in the Canadian records. 
So - not my Annie - but you have both helped me learn a bit more about Canadian records availability - Thanks a million to you both!!!.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 June 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Glad you were able to rule out the Annie McNab who went to Canada.    :)

As for the records...the page after Annie McNab's record is for the next person (Annie McNally).  That will be Annie McNally's description and it shows she arrived on the Corcican in 1920.  The page after that will be the rest of Annie McNally's record. 

You need to look at the page before Annie McNab's in order to find the "back" of her form.  It is counterintuitive to put the "back page" first, but that is how it seems to be done in this record set.  Confusing!!   Annie McNab's "back page" (image 3643) has very little on it - but the date of arrival stamped on that page shows that it is for Annie McNab.

RK :) :)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 June 18 05:00 BST (UK) »
Again thanks for this info Kitty - I definitely "live and learn"... certainly not the way you would have expected the records to be set out lolol

Cheers
Maggs