Author Topic: Paternal Tree and DNA does not match.  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Paternal Tree and DNA does not match.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 September 18 03:14 BST (UK) »
I probably should mention the next steps involve results of sister's test and then after that I'm going to approach one of my cousins (Uncle's son) and ask them to test too.

Would you explain why you're asking him to do the test, do you feel comfortable enough to say & what reaction do you expect from him if you're going to be upfront?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 September 18 04:12 BST (UK) »

@Rosinish

Unfortunately, there are no other siblings. I think the reason the whole process so far has gone so slow is because I don't want to upset anyone by making rash allegations that might cause them undue distress and so I've been as careful as I can be.

As I am not young, the parties involved (parents) are deceased which helps I suppose in that there isn't anyone around to take unbridled anger out on, lest it take that turn. My cousins also are ten to fifteen years older than me and really pragmatic, even tempered men and so I know when it comes down to having that awkward conversation that they will most likely be adults about it:)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 September 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
My cousins also are ten to fifteen years older than me and really pragmatic, even tempered men and so I know when it comes down to having that awkward conversation that they will most likely be adults about it:)

That's certainly a big plus for you!

Good luck with your sisters' results  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 September 18 05:10 BST (UK) »
Initially you don't need to voice your theories to any of your relatives who you ask to take a test. You may be wrong so is there any point "worrying" people unnecessarily?

If you feel you need to offer an explanation, we are often recommended to have near relatives tested as it can help with matches - nothing to do with suspicions over parentage.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 September 18 05:23 BST (UK) »
Very interesting post.
I think you re pragmatic too ....might your cousin be pleased if it turned out you are either a half sister or a cousin on his paternal side as well as his maternal side ....

I think it would be helpful to say 'aunts husband' because although you think of him as uncle...it would make it clear that there was no blood relation to your mother.  !

How long do you have to wait for your sisters results ?

When I asked my elderly aunt to do her DNA so I could know more about my Scottishancestors I was half expecting that her match to me would only be via grandmother....my grandfather was a sailor away for long breaks &  they may have had an 'open marriage'.
My father didn't look much like his grandad and first name was not following traditional naming system that all the other Scots relatives stuck to ....family joke was he was named after the milkman ....but it turns out I do have links to granddad ..also so far not found any unknown half cousins from distant lands who I cant account for ...so maybe they were actually 'exclusive' in their marriage
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson