Author Topic: Paternal Tree and DNA does not match.  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paternal Tree and DNA does not match.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
No, the man I'm matching to is my maternal Aunt's husband... >:( Surprise!

If it was a paternal uncle I probably wouldn't have pinged that there was an issue.

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
There's a fix for the Ancestry file discussed here:
http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=41783&highlight=ancestry&page=29

The tool is here:
http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

If you wish you can PM me and I'd be very happy to have a look at your Gedmatch file.  Do you recognise any relatives at Gedmatch at all?

Thank you:)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
No, the man I'm matching to is my maternal Aunt's husband... >:( Surprise!

If it was a paternal uncle I probably wouldn't have pinged that there was an issue.

In that case you are back to square one. You already have matches on your maternal side.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to stop fiddling about with your tree!  :) Either matches will start trickling in or they won't. If you follow the advice already given, and nothing at all turns up, you may have to consider that the man who brought you up was not your biological father.  But to me, that seems a long way into the future. Have you any closish paternal relatives who would consider testing?

Neither of my brothers or cousins wish to be tested, none of my uncles or aunts still living, unlikely to have wanted to be tested.  Similar things happen in other families. So that rules out me finding any close matches. If nobody in your paternal side has been tested, no matches will appear.

The more people who get tested, the more matches for all of us, even if, as is often the case, they have no interest in genealogy.

Wait and see what happens in the next few weeks, carry on building your real tree, follow the girls as well as the boys, go sideways as well as backwards. You may come across a name you recognise.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
If no one in your father's family have been tested on Ancestry you won't get results.

My maternal side of my tree has far more ancestors on than my paternal side.

I've had one hit on my maternal grandmother's maternal side but it took me back to my 4th gt grandparents. No hits confirmed yet on my maternal grandfather's

I've had 9 confirmed on my father's side, confirming my paternal grandfather's paternal line back to 3rd gt grandparents, my paternal grandfather's mother's line and my paternal grandfather's grandmother's (my gt gt grandmother) line. Also my paternal grandmother's mother's maternal line confirmed.

Most of the hits are in America at the moment so I don't think many of my mother's family emigrated and maybe why I have been able to track so many. They stayed put far more than my paternal line.

This has taken several years - patience has been worth it as my paper trails are being confirmed.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 June 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
I had one third cousin match, she fits into his tree and the common name involved is his mother's maiden name. I have read that mothers pass down their whole X to their sons and so the X you get from your paternal side recombines less and so contains older DNA

I have checked my maternal tree and there is no one of a similar name in that tree. Out of all of the matches I've had thus far, the majority have been from that line.

Luckily for him and unfortunately for me he's dead. I'm probably going to wait for more matches to come in and keep on going, gathering more proof.

Edited for clarity.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 June 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
" I have read that mothers pass down their whole X to their sons and so the X you get from your paternal side recombines less and so contains older DNA"

We aren't talking about maternal or paternal testing at Ancestry, purely autosomal DNA, passed down by males and females in equal measure, 50:50, to their children.

Contact this possible paternal 3rd cousin, and/or build out your tree to see if you can find the definitive connection between you. Click on shared matches to see if anybody else shares DNA with the two of you. Also check out shared matches on all matches that you have not so far identified as maternal matches.
myheritageDNA automatically gives you shared matches, perhaps ask this 3rd cousin to upload there and to Gedmatch, so that you can compare with a chromosome browser.

I think you may find some definite paternal ones eventually, it is still very early days.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 June 18 13:57 BST (UK) »

I agree it's early still. I can't get a male relative to test but I'm going to get my sister to test so that I can separate out the maternal matches that we share, as if my suspicions prove correct we will probably test out as half sisters.

Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and support:)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 June 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Methinks you may be too suspicious! Let the test speak for itself and do let us know how you get on.

Regards Margaret

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 02:03 BST (UK) »

Update on my situation. I have completed an extensive mirror tree on Ancestry and have received multiple shared ancestor hints on not one but four of my Uncle's family lines.

This information has been greeted by my siblings with a good deal of scorn and skepticism, (as you might well imagine). They believe that I have somehow forced the shared ancestor hints to appear by placing my uncle's name where I did.

I have no further way to prove my suspicions, so I am in currently in the position where I will possibly have to throw my hands up and move on, and/or wait for more people to test in the future.

Thanks everyone for all of your insights and help.