Author Topic: Mitford and Co - Debt Collectors in Newcastle?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitford and Co - Debt Collectors in Newcastle?
« on: Friday 15 June 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've come across a reference in the London Gazette to a couple of relatives being partners in a business called Mitford and Co at 14 Neville Street in Newcastle which was being dissolved in 1914.

It says they were a debt collection and book debt buyer business however the census says they were both drapers and one of them had also been a chartered accountant.

I was just wondering if anyone and ever come across this business before because I can't find any other reference to it.

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mitford and Co - Debt Collectors in Newcastle?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Kelly's Directory of Northumberland, 1914 has Mitford & Co. Accountants at 14 Neville Street, along with nine other businesses. They are not there in Ward's Directory of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 1910.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitford and Co - Debt Collectors in Newcastle?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Stan,

So it must have been quite a short lived business. Interesting that it is down as an accountancy firm, I wonder where the debt collection bit comes from.

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)