Author Topic: Soldier 1872  (Read 1535 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldier 1872
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 05:12 BST (UK) »
This is going quite a long way back in time, but I'm trying to trace someone who was a soldier in 1872. Is it possible to trace someone when the only info you have about them is their name, profession and a few clues about location??

I'm searching for Charles Butt who was a soldier on his daughters 1872 birth certificate but that's the only info that I have about him. His daughter was born in Suffolk but in the 1871 census her mother was living in Essex so he could have been living either place.

Is there any census database which allows you to search by profession??

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier 1872
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 18 06:09 BST (UK) »
Find My Past is searchable by profession.    However using Family Search I wonder if this could be him  in 1871

Chas Butt   23  London, Middlesex   Living at Chelsea Barracks for Second Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards  Chelsea -  Soldier - Private

Kay

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 18 06:16 BST (UK) »
Find My Past is searchable by profession.    However using Family Search I wonder if this could be him  in 1871

Chas Butt   23  London, Middlesex   Living at Chelsea Barracks for Second Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards  Chelsea -  Soldier - Private
I
Kay

Hi! I was having a play around on ancestry and after a few attempts I found this too. I think that its him. There is also another Charles Butt as a soldier in 1881 but they look to be different people

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 18 06:24 BST (UK) »
Anc has this record   from Police Records - looks he joined the Police (but resigned 1877)   - Says he was last employed in the Army and discharged 1876

Charles Butt   Age:    28
Birth Place London, Middlesex
Date   20 Nov 1876    West Riding, England
Reference WYP1/A139/10
Force West Riding Constabulary

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
The Police Record mentions that he was born in Islington

I think this might well be him in 1881 listed him as Charles R Butt https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27S-6P65

A Charles Richard Butt   married an Elizabeth Richardson at St Thomas, Lambeth on 31 Mar 1881 with father listed as Henry Butt (dead)   

Charles in 1861 with father Henry?? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2ML-H1YN

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
The 1871 Census has Charles Butt, private as "unmarried" but the initial post refers to the mother being on the 1871 Census in Essex.

What was her marital status?

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 June 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, Charles Butt not married to mother Emma Teager. They had two children
Gertrude Emma November 1872
Charles Walter December 1876
Both born in Marlesford, Suffolk and lived with Grandmother in Suffolk. Gertrudes birth cert states Emma Butt formerly Teager as mother and Charles Butt, Soldier as father but they were obviously never married. Emma went on to marry another Soldier around 1880. Emma was living in Essex in 1871 and married to someone else 1881.
I also found a record for a Charles Butt born 31 May 1849 in London Middlesex in the royal Naval Seamen. Service number 1737B.

So I'm just trying to piece it all together.

Interesting that he may also have been in the Police. I did see that record but wasnt sure if it was him!

The 1871 Census has Charles Butt, private as "unmarried" but the initial post refers to the mother being on the 1871 Census in Essex.

What was her marital status?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying. I'd identified Gertrude as a possibility (the GRO has transcribed mother's name as Seager).

FindMyPast's "British Army, Worldwide Index 1871" (transcription) has -
Charles Butt, Private, Scots Fusilier Guards, Service No. 2014, HQ location London

There's a Charles Butt in the Royal Artillery but ruled out - didn't attest 'til 1874.

Was Charles mentioned Charles Walter's birth cert?

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 18 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying. I'd identified Gertrude as a possibility (the GRO has transcribed mother's name as Seager).

FindMyPast's "British Army, Worldwide Index 1871" (transcription) has -
Charles Butt, Private, Scots Fusilier Guards, Service No. 2014, HQ location London

There's a Charles Butt in the Royal Artillery but ruled out - didn't attest 'til 1874.

Was Charles mentioned Charles Walter's birth cert?
I only have Gertrudes Birth Cert so far. The dates of his army/police work dont seem to add up to Charles birth ... but I imagine it would say the same as Gertrudes, shes given him the same last name and first name.