Author Topic: Alias surnames  (Read 180 times)

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alias surnames
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 09:24 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering what alias surnames other researchers have uncovered that are strange or weird, I've uncovered a few but they've had some connection to the original surname or profession of the person. I've just uncovered this gem which has enabled me to break down a brick wall. I found it by chance because it's just plain odd  ???

Richard Anybody (alias Howell) married Margareet Gaskine 1668 Rowley Regis, Staffordshire

I've found a couple of documents mentioning Richard's family including my direct ancestor Gilbert Howell but found very little on any other family using the surname Anybody ???

I thought it may have been a miss-transcribe but then I found this on the National Archives:

Short title: Ward v Birch.

Plaintiffs: Humble Ward and Henry Pynley.

Defendants: Thomas Birch, John Finch, William Haughton and Richard Anybody alias Powell.

Subject: property in Dudley etc, Staffordshire and Worcestershire.

Document type: bill and answer

Date:1652
Held by:   The National Archives, Kew

Vet odd  ;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.