Author Topic: Are Josina and Judoca interchangeable in Zeeland/Flanders?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Are Josina and Judoca interchangeable in Zeeland/Flanders?
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
I've been looking for Josina/Gosina Maas born c1750-60 in Hulst, Zeeland, Netherlands, and found a likely prospect on Zeeuws Archief in Judoca Maes bap 1758.

Can someone please advise whether Judoca is interchangeable with Josina?
Thank you.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Are Josina and Judoca interchangeable in Zeeland/Flanders?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Who are the parents ... or any other family members?
And, her religion?

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi TreeSpirit. Yes, I should have put Hulst (now amended). And thanks for that link to the actual record on FamilySearch.

My Josina Maas married in Hulst in 1777 to Franciscus Amen (a soldier then residing at 's-Hertogenbosch, North Brabant). On that marriage Josina is shown as born in Hulst, and the religion is shown as Nederduits Gereformeerd. 

So far I've found they had 5 children (no actual birth/bap records found, just references in those childrens' marriages and/or deaths to their parents being Franciscus Amen & Josina Maas):
Josephus (1777, 's-Hertogenbosch)
Philippus Josephus (c1779, 's-Hertogenbosch)
Maria (c1785, Zwolle, Overijssel)
Johannes Hendrikus (c1796, Kampen, Overijssel)
Hendrik (1802, Kampen, Overijssel)

[Based on Josina's marriage date of 1777, she being probably aged 16 or older, she was born no later than 1761; and her last child was born 1802, she being probably no older than 46, so she was born no earlier than 1756; her predicted birth date is 1756-1761].

Daughter Maria's 1813 marriage in Zeist, Utrecht, to Johannes de Greeff (Greeven) mentions that her father Franciscus Amen was buried on 24 December 1812, and his wife was buried on 6 January 1803, but again no actual records found for these deaths, so parents and religion not determined. (Particularly odd that I can't find Franciscus Amen's death as it should be under Civil Registration).

The 1758 birth of Judoca Maas in Hulst to Philippus Maas & Anna Maria Willaerd (Willaard/Willaart) seemed a likely candidate to be my Josina Maas because she fits within the predicted birth range, was born in Hulst, and especially because Josina named her second son Philippus and her first daughter Maria – after her parents?

The 1754 marriage of Philippus Maas & Anna Maria Willaart shows religion as Nederduits Gereformeerd; as does Philippus' second marriage in 1760 to Johanna Theresia van der Keer.

I don't understand why the baptism of Judoca Maas b1758 was Roman Catholic when her parents married as Nederduits Gereformeerd – unless those religions are the same thing or closely related?

Anyway, based on above, Judoca Maas could very well be my Josina Maas – except for the difference in the fore-name – hence my query: is Josina perhaps a dutch translation of the Flemish name Judoca?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
A few things that might help you make up your mind:

1 Name variations
This website mentions that Josina can be a variant of Judoca. https://nl.geneanet.org/voornaam/Judoca

2 Religion
If one child had been baptised catholic and the next protestant, it could have been because of the parents having 2 different religions. However, in this case the baptisms are always catholic. So why the protestant marriages? I believe that it wasn’t illegal to have a RC marriage, but until the late 1700’s only Protestant or civil (before the courts?) marriages were officially recognised by the government. And, it is quite possible that there are (second) RC marriages for these people as well. You might be able to check this via the available films on Family Search.

3 Witnesses
When "Josina" has her first child baptised in 18777, one of the witnesses might be "Judoca’s" step mother (Josina?? Theresia van de Keer).

4 The names of Josina’s children.
In the past the majority of the Dutch stuck to a strict naming pattern:
First boy – named after paternal grandfather
Second boy – named after maternal grandfather (i.e. Philippus)
First girl – named after maternal grandmother (i.e. Maria) 

I'll have a look for that 1812 death ...

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you TreeSpirit. That Judoca = Josina confirmation is exactly what I was hoping for.

And I've just found the 1777 baptism of Josina's first child (son Augustinus), and agree that the witness to this baptism Josina Theresia van de Keer would surely have to be Joanna Theresia van der Keer, the second wife of Philippus Amen, and therefore stepmother to Judoca Maas. I now have a definite link between my Josina Maas and the person baptised as Judoca Maas.

Augustinus' baptism on 5 July 1777 overlaps somewhat with the birthdate of Josephus which is recorded as 8 Oct 1777 [in Netherlands Institute Military History; Nederlandse militairen in het leger van Napoleon, Vincennes/Parijs, inventory number 28Yc67], but expect that either Josephus' birth date in incorrect, or, and perhaps more likely, Augustinus was born before 1777 and his baptism was refused by the church until after his parents married on 22 June 1777.

Thanks again for your help.

Could you please point me in the right direction as to the route you took to locate the scan of Judoca's 1758 baptism record on FamilySearch?

Also Hulst is often referred to as “Hulst e.o.”. Do you know what the “e.o.” means?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:09 BST (UK) »

The RC scans can be found here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/92741?availability=Family%20History%20Library
(I ignore the red bit and scroll down to the little cameras. In your case I selected “Dopen 1726-1767 -- trouwen 1627-1645 (gefilmd met anderen gemeenten)”)

I’ve been wondering about the “e.o” myself as it is still seems to be used for Hulst sometimes.
There are only 2 possibilities that I can think of:
ex off. / ex officio = ambtshalve (officially)
en omstreken (and surroundings)
The second one seems to be the more logical option  ….

It has taken me a bit of digging as these old documents weren’t numbered and are a pain to read, but eventually I managed to find the “huwelijksbijlagen” (~marriage supplements) for Maria’s 1813 Zeist (UT) marriage.  :)

They start with proof of Joannes’ baptism (in French)
Image 322 - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9398-TPC5-K?i=321&cc=2023934 
-
Image 323-327 - There is no baptism to be found for Maria, so she’s got various people vouching for her (in French and Dutch). You’ll notice that there are even more versions of her mothers name e.g. Gesina Maris
-
Image 327 - Extract (in Dutch) of the “Dood Boek” of the Bovenkerk Kampen (OV) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovenkerk,_Kampen )
21 Dec 1802 – burial Franciscus Amen
6 Jan 1803 – burial widow of Franciscus Amen
-
Image 328 - Declaration (in Dutch) of the RC orphanage in Kampen: Maria, daughter of Franciscus Amen and Geziena Maas,  was “parentless” from 8 Jan 1803. She was a “braaf meisje”(well behaved girl) …

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:32 BST (UK) »

Could this be another child?:
Doopinschrijving Franciscus Hamel, 06-11-1785 Hulst e.o.
Datering: 06-11-1785
Kerkelijke gezindte: Rooms-katholiek
Doopplaats: Hulst e.o.
Doopdatum: 06-11-1785
Bron ander archief:
Rottier nr 22, GA Hulst nr 3 / 10v
Geboortedatum: 06-11-1785
Plaatsnaam doop: Hulst e.o.
Dopeling: Franciscus Hamel
Geslacht: Mannelijk
Vader: Franciscus Hamel
Moeder: Josina Maes
Opmerking: van Hulst
Getuige: Franciscus Willemssen, Maria Petronella Mals
Toegangsnummer: 995 Verzameling Doop-, Trouw-, Begraaf- en Lidmatenregisters (DTBL), (1527) 1572-1810 (1866)
Inventarisnummer: HUL-12B
-
(Note: a Maria Petronella Maas born 15-04-1764 is Judoca's half sister)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
Yes that could well be a further child. That would make 7 children.

Stadsarchief Kampen has a 1795 Volkstelling for Franciscus Aame and Sina Maas giving the family size as 7, but it doesn't provide a link for me to view the actual record to see if actual names are given.