Author Topic: Isabella Crauford (Crawford) born 1796 approx. Died 1875  (Read 2016 times)

Offline conygar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Crauford (Crawford) born 1796 approx. Died 1875
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
I have the proclamation for marriage of Isabella Crauford (or is it Crawford) and Robert Jackson in 1818 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire.  It says they are "both in this parish".

I have the names of Robert's parents (Robert Jackson and Janet Spier) from his death certificate/record in 1860 and his birth record in Scotland Select Births and Baptism index on Ancestry.

I am searching without success for the parents of Isabella as they were unfortunately not listed on her death certificate/record in 1875 in Kilbarchan.  The informant was her son Robert and she is listed as the widow of Robert Jackson, carter (which was his occupation in 1851 and again on his death certificate/record)

The only other information I have about her comes from census records from 1841-1871 in Kilbarchan.  In 1851 she was with Robert and it says she was 56 born in Kilbarchan.  In 1861 she is with a daughter and it says she was 66, born in Kilbarrick, Argylleshire.  In 1871 she is with the same daughter and it says she was 76, born in Kilberry, Argylleshire.

Once when I was at an WDYTYA exhibition in London I was able to ask the Scotland's People stand to search for her (that was where I got her death record) and they couldn't find a birth either but that was 5+ years ago and I live in hope that her record will turn up at some point.

Any pointers as to where else I might search for her please?
Sussex:  Weston, Gadd, Clark, Eldridge, Newick and Poile
Kent:  White; Linkins
Renfrewshire: Jackson, Crawford, Telfer

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Crauford (Crawford) born 1796 approx. Died 1875
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
I would expect Kilbarchan to be Isabella's PoB although I'm not sure what "Kilbarrick, Argylleshire" says on the original doc. but I couldn't find a place of that name?
Her age is consistent on each census.

https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Piece SCT1841/568
E D 10
Parish Kilbarchan (Renfrewshire )
Folio 13
Page 17
Address Ewing Street

Jackson (all born Renfrew)

Robert 67               
Isabella 40               
Janet 20       
Agness 18       
Jean 13               
Robert 7

Not all children were baptised & not all records have survived.

Sometimes the Scottish naming pattern can help to establish possible parentage although in this case it’s not so easy to try & fathom as there are a lack of males.

You have established Roberts’ parents to be Robert & Janet i.e. my guess would be Isabella’s mother was possibly Agnes but as there seems to have been no other male children it’s anyone’s guess as to a name for her father?

Baptisms I could find except Jean;

Janet 1818
Agnes 1821
Margaret 1824
Jean c1826 (from 1841 census)
Isabel 1830
Robert 1833

Are there any clues on the above baptisms (sponsors) which give pointers?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"