Author Topic: FLYNT Lands & Tenements in Car-Colston (Will - 1623)  (Read 162 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FLYNT Lands & Tenements in Car-Colston (Will - 1623)
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am from just over the border in Derbyshire and live in Crich, near Matlock. I am trying to research a family called FLYNT / FLINT who apparently had several members who were born in Matlock in the 1500's/1600's. Several of whom left for America around 1635, settling in the Massachusett's Bay Colony. I suspect that two of the brothers who left for Massachusett's Bay, Henry FLYNT & Thomas FLYNT were puritans and I do know that Henry eventually became a minister of a church in Braintree, MA.

One piece of evidence that I have seen suggests that they took with them a considerable amount of money, somewhere between 2,000 and 4,000. This would have been a considerable sum in 1635.

In trying to find out a little more about the family I came across an extract from a Will dated around 1623. The Will was of Thomas FLYNT, the father of the two brothers. I have attached a file with the will extract. It shows something quite interesting that stimulated me to post this on the Nottinghamshire Board. In particular, a reference to the 'lands and tenements' in a place called Car Colston. Does anyone have knowledge of the FLYNT family in Car Colston and why a family in Matlock, Derbyshire would own land in Car Colston?

Yours hopefully,

Alan (Flint)

FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.