Author Topic: Baptist Chapels near Redbourn  (Read 221 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Baptist Chapels near Redbourn
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
A letter says that  "my father was  a strict Baptist i.e. of the exclusion order - what exactly it implied I do not know - but he had to go a good distance to his chapel & not to the nearby Baptist at Redbourn." ( He lived in Redbourn)
Does anyone have suggestions where this chapel might have been? What was a reasonable distance to walk?  Thanks, Toby.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapels near Redbourn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
A little more information is now to hand which may help readers.
Prior to Redbourn, he lived at Stags End which is about 3 miles away. In that area the six inch O.S. maps show 3 Baptist Chapels. One is in Crown Street, Redbourn and is described as 'General'. Another on Redbourn Common is described as 'Particular'. A third is at Gaddesden Row and is described as 'High Calvanistic'. T.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapels near Redbourn
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Strict Baptists were a group of Baptist Churches generally Calvinist in theology, so he probably went to the one in Gaddesden Row.

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk