Author Topic: Bourne and Hillier Dairy Medway area  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bourne and Hillier Dairy Medway area
« on: Sunday 17 June 18 07:21 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knows when the Bourne and Hillier Dairy closed in Chatham, Kent? I have been told that my granddad (from Gillingham) was a milkman in the 1930's and I am assuming he would have collected milk from there and delivered locally? TIA :)
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline Alex Walker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bourne and Hillier Dairy Medway area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
You might be interested in this article http://kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/what-do-you-know-about-117894/

And Bourne & Hillier Creameries Ltd ceased trading in 1994. I am a Medway girl born and bred and B&H used to deliver our milk!

Cheers

Alex
Kent - Aldington, Bredhurst, Chatham, Gillingham, Hollingbourne, Lynsted, Newington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Smeeth, Snodland, Stockbury, Teynham, Upchurch<br />Surrey - Croydon<br />Sussex - Hellingly, Limspfield<br />Names - Chambers, Flynn, Giblett, Hart, Hodgman, Goldsmith, Lacy, Tucker, Hales, Callaway, Hubbard, Mudge, Wills, Barnden

Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alex :) Great photos. My aunt married into the Bourne family and my mum recalls going into the 'factory' when she was quite young and hearing the clink of the milk bottles and watching the men work :) I'll show her the photos as well although I suspect they were taken quite a while after her time!
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline kirby65

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 23 21:52 GMT (UK) »
you may be interested to know that Gillingham Depot was in Nelson road.My grandfather worked there 1940 to 1970 .Starting delivering milk etc Finished as Depot foreman.