Author Topic: occupation 'teamster'  (Read 1711 times)

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
occupation 'teamster'
« on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
I just wondered what 'teamster' as occupation might mean in 1918 in NZ? Would it have meant 'driver' of a vehicle or a team of animals?

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: occupation 'teamster'
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Just to add that this occupation of 'teamster' was given by a man who lived in Armagh Street in Christchurch in 1918.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

Originally, the term "teamster" referred to a person who drove a team of draft animals, usually a wagon drawn by oxen, horses, or mules.
In Australian English, a teamster was also known as a bullocker or bullocky.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
So a teamster in 1918 Christchurch would be unlikely to be a driver of a vehicle? The reason I question this is because I'm wondering if it is the same person from Christchurch city who gave his occupation in the electoral rolls as 'driver' in 1928, 1935, and 1938. I'm just not sure that there would have been teams of animals in Christchurch in 1918, but my historical knowledge is not fabulous.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
According to the OED In America a Teamster is  person employed to transport goods or freight (originally by means of a horse-drawn wagon, etc., later in a motor vehicle). Hence in later use: a truck driver, a lorry driver. I wonder if this is the meaning used in New Zealand

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
I would say "teamster" and "driver" could be slightly different names for the same occupation.

Do you have the man on any certificates (his marriage, death, his children's births etc) to see what he says his occupation is?

Although he lived in CC his occupation of teamster may have taken him out of the city?

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Solved it I think. On a document in 1918 his occupation was teamster. In the electoral rolls in 1928, 1935, and 1938 a person with the same name was a driver.

I have now found the Christchurch City and Area Dictionary (Wise's), and the same person at the same address in 1926 and 1930 is listed with his occupation as teamster.

So the term seemed to be synonymous or at least very similar. Perhaps one harnessed the horses and the other held the reins. And yes, it would have been animals rather than vehicles. Ruskin, I agree, the countryside and farmland was very close at hand even if he lived in the city itself.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I will attach a photo from Auckland, NOT Christchurch, but the transition from horse power to motor power would have been the same, for both big and small transport companies. Horse drawn transport continued well into the depression, and even in some instances, up to WWII due to fuel rationing.

Regards,

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan! How interesting.