Author Topic: No new dna matches?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: No new dna matches?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 June 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Ayashi, they are heavily pushed as Mother's Day and Father's Day presents in the spring. I think they try to avoid them being seasonal, just to balance the workload.

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
So for nearly 2 weeks, I didn't get a single 4th or closer cousin match, today I've got 5! Of course no trees so no use to my research but at least matches are coming through again!
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting, I just looked after reading your post and mine has gone up 4 since this morning*  :)

With the no tree ones, I try to look at the shared matches and see if there are any trees there as a pointer.

Added  - I'm referring to my close matches, up to 4-6. I have masses of the more distant relations added, mostly with moderate confidence.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in someone who comes up as not having a tree, look at their profile. Sometimes they will have trees that they just haven't attached to their DNA results.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in someone who comes up as not having a tree, look at their profile. Sometimes they will have trees that they just haven't attached to their DNA results.

I do that but many of them are either 3-5 people, all marked private,  or those with 5000+ of totally unbelievable ancestors. I'm now starting to wonder if doing thorough research is wrong. Maybe we should just use a digital pin in the records. Sorry to say that most of these mythical trees are from USA members  :-\

Disenchanted with many Ancestry and My Heritage trees and planning to just go on as I did before.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
My 4th to 6th cousin matches trickle in slowly, 5th to 8th come in a steady stream.

If I press 'Date' I get about 2 pages of matches from the '1 week ago', followed by several more from '2 weeks ago', then loads of pages of '3 weeks ago, etc, etc.

Try it and see, Hmootm and weste, whether you truly have had no recent distant matches at all. If it is really none at all, it is just a question of waiting for more people to be tested, as others have said.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
I just don't know what is going on at ancestry, no new 4th cousin or closer for 3 weeks now and only a small trickle of distant cousins.  Has anyone else noticed the same?
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
To answer your question directly, I have had only a few 4th to 6th cousin matches recently, coming in a trickle, but I am trying to find out where some of the 5th to 8th cousin matches are connected.

But I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, if you don't mind me saying.

Have you identified the connection to all the 4th to 6th cousins that you already have? Have you identified many of the 5th to 8th cousin matches? If anything like mine, you will have several thousands of them, most of them unrecognisable.
Have you clicked on matches for the last 7 days to ensure that you haven't missed any?

Matches will come when they come, expect a lot more a few weeks after a special offer in DNA testing.

There is perhaps plenty more research to do in other aspects of your tree whilst waiting for more matches.  Research the siblings of your direct ancestors, especially the girls. Surnames in common can be difficult to find if you or your matches haven't researched far sideways as well as backwards.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I've had 84 new matches in the last 7 days, including a handful of 4th-6th cousins

Added - 35,560 in total