Author Topic: Transcriptions  (Read 3513 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Transcriptions
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
Attaching a snip of the snip  :)  When I have been transcribing, I have always worked as part of a team, so sometimes I am checking someone else's work, and  other times someone else is checking my work.  Usually several checks actually.  Sometimes I have been a team leader, and sometimes I have worked under a team leader. 

We have always been encouraged to transcribe bearing in mind the context, so IF transcribing something to do with a birth and a relationship to the head of the household, if given the choice of ADAPTED or ADOPTED ... I am sure to read it as adopted.   Perhaps transcribing principles are slightly different from U.K. rules ... I am in NSW Australia, and have been transcribing 19th century long hand since err ... early 1970s.   

I agree though that it is best for each researcher to seek out the original document rather than rely on any transcription, provided of course they are familiar with the context, and the longhand script and the nuances of the written language used. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Am I missing something as I still don't see the original image,just the transcription?

Adoption didn't start legally until 1927,so it would have been a strange word to use back then.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Am I missing something as I still don't see the original image,just the transcription?

Adoption didn't start legally until 1927,so it would have been a strange word to use back then.

I was about to say the same Carol.

Looking at transcription rules for a site such as FreeCen it says

“The general rule will be that data will be transcribed 'as is'. There will be some (few) variations to this, to be described later, in detail. “
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Yes ---- I comprehend the rules    ----

and I am NOT a rule breaker  -

But where is COMMONSENSE

so adopted was not a word commonly used in 1927  -- IT IS today -

this is why I could never be a transcriber - I would have to read and transcribe what I KNOW it says... in 'XINS' head.. which sometimes is (sssshhhhhh dont tell anyone) Incorrect.

like the bit I put on here the other day regarding me reading a Baptism.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795764.msg6524762#msg6524762

I just get so fed up of silly errors..

YES abide by the rules, of course -- but can they not double check a place name or look it up..

Anyway too busy catching the Rays to follow the dead rellies for 24hrs... :)  might visit a cemetary or two..

see if they put the correct name on the gravestone.. :)  ha ha..

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
here are the bits? 

see what you think..

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
 :)  And, of course, regardless of when formal adoptions commenced, there were children who were informally adopted right across the 19th Century. 

:) In my experience, across NSW throughout the 19th century, children were informally adopted within their extended family, while children who were raised within a family who were not related to the child, ie a formal relationship established via the Colonial office's Boarding Out Officer, were noted as fostered. 

:) I would add, that in my experience, ''Adopted" is a word that was frequently used in NSW official records, and as many of those who raised those official records were migrants from the U.K. it may well be they were basing their use of English words on their own understanding of the words used in their life in England.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
I read it as Adopted.

JM

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
I read it as Adopted.

JM

Yes very clear to me also.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
yes, my first glance- read adopted.